PAX8: a sensitive and specific marker to identify cancer cells of ovarian origin for patients prior to neoadjuvant chemotherapy
AffiliationDepartment of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Henan Province People’s Hospital, Zhengzhou, Henan 450003, China
Department of Pathology, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Qilu Hospital, Shandong University, Ji’nan, Shandong 250012, China
Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research, Cambridge, MA 02142, USA
Department of Pathology, Qilu Hospital, Shandong University, Ji’nan, Shandong 250012, China
Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology, College of Medicine, University of Arizona, 1501 N. Campbell Avenue, #5205, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
Arizona Cancer Center, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ 85724, USA
MetadataShow full item record
CitationWang et al. Journal of Hematology & Oncology 2013, 6:60 http://www.jhoonline.org/content/6/1/60
JournalJournal of Hematology & Oncology
Rights© 2013 Wang et al.; licensee BioMed Central Ltd. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0)
Collection InformationThis item is part of the UA Faculty Publications collection. For more information this item or other items in the UA Campus Repository, contact the University of Arizona Libraries at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractBACKGROUND:Neoadjuvant chemotherapy followed by cytoreduction surgery has been used where an accurate cytologic or pathologic diagnosis is usually required before the initiation of neoadjuvant chemotherapy. However, it is difficult to make definitive diagnosis of presence of cancer cells, particularly gynecologic versus non-gynecologic origin, from those ascites specimens due to the absence of specific biomarkers of gynecologic cancers. In the present study, we evaluated if, in addition to the routine morphologic diagnosis, the biomarker PAX8 could be useful in recognition of ovarian epithelial cancer cells prior to the neoadjuvant chemotherapy.METHODS:Two hundred and two cytology specimens including 120 pretreatment ovarian cancer samples, 60 benign controls, and 22 malignant non-gynecologic cases were studied. All cytology slides were morphologically reviewed in a blinded fashion without knowing corresponding pathology diagnosis, if present. A total of 168 cytology specimens with a cell block were stained with PAX8 and Calretinin. These included patients with potential for ovarian cancer neoadjuvant chemotherapy (n=96), metastatic cancers (n=22), and benign controls (n=50).RESULTS:Among the 96 ascitic samples prior to neoadjuvant chemotherapy, 76 (79%) showing morphologic features consistent with cancers of ovarian primary were all PAX+/Calretinin-. The remaining 20 (21%) cases were positive for adenocarcinoma, but morphologically unable to be further classified. Among the 22 metastatic cancers into the pelvis, one case with PAX8+/Calretinin- represented a renal cell carcinoma and the remaining 21 PAX8-/Calretinin- metastatic cancers were either breast metastasis (n=4) and the metastasis from gastrointestinal tract (n=17). Among the 50 benign control pelvic washing cases, 5 PAX8+/Calretinin-cases represented endosalpingiosis (n=4) and endometriosis (n=1), 25 PAX8-/Calretinin+cases showed reactive mesothelial cells, and the remaining 20 specimens with PAX8-/Calretinin- phenotype typically contained inflammatory or blood cells without noticeable diagnostic epithelia.CONCLUSIONS:PAX8 identifies all Mullerian derived benign or malignant epithelia. When combining with Calretinin, PAX8 is a sensitive marker to diagnose the carcinomas of ovarian origin, which will be ideal to be used for those patients with a possible advanced ovarian cancer prior to receiving neoadjuvant chemotherapy.
VersionFinal published version