AuthorTipton, C. M.
AffiliationDepartment of Physiology, University of Arizona
MetadataShow full item record
CitationTipton Extreme Physiology & Medicine (2015) 4:6 DOI 10.1186/s13728-015-0024-y
JournalExtreme Physiology & Medicine
Rights© 2015 Tipton; licensee BioMed Central. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0)
Collection InformationThis item is part of the UA Faculty Publications collection. For more information this item or other items in the UA Campus Repository, contact the University of Arizona Libraries at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractThis invited autobiographical article pertains to 52 years as an exercise physiologist of which 16 years were devoted to being an active emeriti. Although the career pathway was circuitous in nature, once resolved, it included preparation of future exercise physiologists; reducing the health hazards associated with the "making of weight" by scholastic wrestlers; using animals (rats and dogs) as the model system with a myriad of experimental procedure for obtaining insights and understandings of various exercise training mechanism in one-G environments, and in simulated muG environments. From the results, we have concluded that (a) inactivity, as represented by immobilization, is the most undesirable physiological state an animal should experience and (b) movement, as represented by training, will have an intrinsic adaptive influence on select biological tissues that, in some situations, can be independent of autonomic and hormonal influences.
PubMed Central IDPMC4403774
VersionFinal published version
- Determinants of VO2 max: insights gained from non-human species.
- Authors: Tipton CM
- Issue date: 1986
- The influence of physical activity on ligaments and tendons.
- Authors: Tipton CM, Matthes RD, Maynard JA, Carey RA
- Issue date: 1975 Fall
- A decade of Australian Rural Clinical School graduates--where are they and why?
- Authors: Eley DS, Synnott R, Baker PG, Chater AB
- Issue date: 2012
- Career perspective: Paolo Cerretelli.
- Authors: Cerretelli P
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 25
- Corticotropic and serotonergic responses to acute stress with/without prior exercise training in different rat strains.
- Authors: Martin CL, Duclos M, Aguerre S, Mormede P, Manier G, Chaouloff F
- Issue date: 2000 Mar