Axillary vein thrombosis induced by an increasingly popular oscillating dumbbell exercise device: a case report
AffiliationArizona Heart Hospital
University of Arizona, College of Medicine-Phoenix
Axillary vein thrombosis
Thrombolytic therapy mechanical thrombectomy
Thoracic outlet syndrome
MetadataShow full item record
CitationShennib et al. Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery (2015) 10:73 DOI 10.1186/s13019-015-0264-3
Rights© 2015 Shennib et al.; licensee BioMed Central. This is an Open Access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0)
Collection InformationThis item is part of the UA Faculty Publications collection. For more information this item or other items in the UA Campus Repository, contact the University of Arizona Libraries at email@example.com.
AbstractA 53 year-old male presented with a one-day history of a swollen arm and dull, aching pain in the right upper extremity. The patient reported commencing exercising daily over the prior week with a modified, oscillating dumbbell; commonly referred to as a Shake Weight. Imaging revealed an occlusive thrombus in the right axillary, proximal brachial and basilic veins. The patient was treated with a 24-hour tPA infusion followed by mechanical thrombectomy, balloon angioplasty, and stent placement for a residual thrombus and stenosis. The patient was discharged the following day on warfarin and aspirin. This is the first report of effort-induced thrombosis of the upper extremity following the use of a modified, oscillating dumbbell. Due to the growing popularity of modified dumbbells and the possible risk for axillary vein thrombosis, consideration should be made to caution consumers of this potential complication.
PubMed Central IDPMC4446062
VersionFinal published version
- Upper Extremity Effort Thrombosis.
- Authors: Garbrecht JD, Reynolds W, Rosenthal MD
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Cephalic vein thrombosis.
- Authors: Gecmen C, Gecmen GG, Kahyaoglu M, Aksut M, Havan N, Guner A, Cakmak EO, Sarikaya S, Kalkan S, Rabus M
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Effort thrombosis of the upper extremities related to an arm stretching exercise.
- Authors: Liang HW, Su TC, Hwang BS, Hung MH
- Issue date: 2006 Feb
- Percutaneous manual aspiration thrombectomy followed by stenting for iliac vein compression syndrome with secondary acute isolated iliofemoral deep vein thrombosis: a prospective study of single-session endovascular protocol.
- Authors: Zhu QH, Zhou CY, Chen Y, Wang J, Mo HY, Luo MH, Huang W, Yu XF
- Issue date: 2014 Jan
- [Repeated local thrombolysis in a patient with axillary and subclavian vein injury and thrombosis].
- Authors: Sárník S, Hofírek I
- Issue date: 2009 Nov