Pharmacologically active flavonoids from the anticancer, antioxidant and antimicrobial extracts of Cassia angustifolia Vahl
AuthorAhmed, Shabina Ishtiaq
Hayat, Muhammad Qasim
Bates, Robert B.
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Bio5
Univ Arizona, Dept Chem & Biochem
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherBIOMED CENTRAL LTD
CitationPharmacologically active flavonoids from the anticancer, antioxidant and antimicrobial extracts of Cassia angustifolia Vahl 2016, 16 (1) BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Rights© The Author(s). This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractBackground: Cassia angustifolia Vahl. (commonly known as senna makkai or cassia senna), native to Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Yemen and also extensively cultivated in Pakistan, is a medicinal herb used traditionally to cure number of diseases like liver diseases, constipation, typhoid, cholera etc. This study was conducted to evaluate the in-vitro antimicrobial, antioxidant and anticancer assays and phytochemical constituents of aqueous and organic extracts of C. angustifolia leaves. Methods: The antimicrobial activities of C. angustifolia aqueous and organic (methanol, ethanol, acetone, ethyl acetate) extracts were investigated by the disk diffusion method. These extracts were further evaluated for antioxidant potential by the DPPH radical scavenging assay. Anticancer activities of the extracts were determined by the MTT colorimetric assay. The total phenolic and flavonoid contents of C. angustifolia extracts were evaluated by the Folin-Ciocalteu method and aluminum chloride colorimetric assay, respectively. The structures of the bioactive compounds were elucidated by NMR and ESI-MS spectrometry. Results: Bioactivity-guided screening of C. angustifolia extracts, led to the isolation and identification of three flavonoids quercimeritrin (1), scutellarein (2), and rutin (3) reported for the first time from this plant, showed significant anticancer activity against MCF-7 (IC50, 4.0 mu g/mu L), HeLa (IC50, 5.45 mu g/mu L), Hep2 (IC50, 7.28 mu g/mu L) and low cytotoxicity against HCEC (IC50, 21.09 mu g/mu L). Significant antioxidant activity was observed with IC50 2.41 mu g/mL against DPPH radical. Moreover, C. angustifolia extracts have the potential to inhibit microbial growth of E. cloacae, P. aeruginosa, S. mercescens and S. typhi. Conclusion: C. angustifolia extracts revealed the presence of quercimeritrin (1), scutellarein (2), and rutin (3), all known to have useful bioactivities including antimicrobial, antioxidant and anticancer activities.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsResearch Directorate, National University of Sciences and Technology (NUST), Islamabad, Pakistan [H-12]
- Extraction optimization of medicinally important metabolites from Datura innoxia Mill.: an in vitro biological and phytochemical investigation.
- Authors: Fatima H, Khan K, Zia M, Ur-Rehman T, Mirza B, Haq IU
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 19
- Appraisal of phytochemical and in vitro biological attributes of an unexplored folklore: Rhus Punjabensis Stewart.
- Authors: Tabassum S, Ahmed M, Mirza B, Naeem M, Zia M, Shanwari ZK, Khan GM
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 9
- Antioxidant properties of methanolic extracts of the leaves of seven Egyptian Cassia species.
- Authors: El-Hashash MM, Abdel-Gawad MM, El-Sayed MM, Sabry WA, Abdel-Hameed el-SS, Abdel-Lateef Eel-S
- Issue date: 2010 Sep
- Antioxidant activity and total phenolic and flavonoids content variations of leaves extracts of white Horehound (Marrubium vulgare Linné) from three geographical origins.
- Authors: Bouterfas K, Mehdadi Z, Elaoufi MM, Latreche A, Benchiha W
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- GC-MS analysis, antimicrobial, antioxidant, antilipoxygenase and cytotoxic activities of Jacaranda mimosifolia methanol leaf extracts and fractions.
- Authors: Naz R, Roberts TH, Bano A, Nosheen A, Yasmin H, Hassan MN, Keyani R, Ullah S, Khan W, Anwar Z
- Issue date: 2020