Optical analogues of the Newton–Schrödinger equation and boson star evolution
Wright, Ewan M.
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationOptical analogues of the Newton–Schrödinger equation and boson star evolution 2016, 7:13492 Nature Communications
Rights© The Author(s) 2016. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractMany gravitational phenomena that lie at the core of our understanding of the Universe have not yet been directly observed. An example in this sense is the boson star that has been proposed as an alternative to some compact objects currently interpreted as being black holes. In the weak field limit, these stars are governed by the Newton-Schrodinger equation. Here we present an optical system that, under appropriate conditions, identically reproduces such equation in two dimensions. A rotating boson star is experimentally and numerically modelled by an optical beam propagating through a medium with a positive thermal nonlinearity and is shown to oscillate in time while also stable up to relatively high densities. For higher densities, instabilities lead to an apparent breakup of the star, yet coherence across the whole structure is maintained. These results show that optical analogues can be used to shed new light on inaccessible gravitational objects.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsEuropean Research Council under European Union/ERC [GA 306559]; EPSRC (UK) [EP/J00443X/1]; EPSRC CM-CDT Grant [EP/L015110/1]
- Numerical Relativity of Compact Binaries in the 21st Century.
- Authors: Duez MD, Zlochower Y
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 17
- The Evolution of Compact Binary Star Systems.
- Authors: Postnov KA, Yungelson LR
- Issue date: 2014
- Formation and coalescence of cosmological supermassive-black-hole binaries in supermassive-star collapse.
- Authors: Reisswig C, Ott CD, Abdikamalov E, Haas R, Mösta P, Schnetter E
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 11
- Gravitational Radiation from Post-Newtonian Sources and Inspiralling Compact Binaries.
- Authors: Blanchet L
- Issue date: 2014
- A two-solar-mass neutron star measured using Shapiro delay.
- Authors: Demorest PB, Pennucci T, Ransom SM, Roberts MS, Hessels JW
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 28