Pressure-induced commensurate stacking of graphene on boron nitride
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Phys
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationPressure-induced commensurate stacking of graphene on boron nitride 2016, 7:13168 Nature Communications
Rights© The Author(s) 2016. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractCombining atomically-thin van der Waals materials into heterostructures provides a powerful path towards the creation of designer electronic devices. The interaction strength between neighbouring layers, most easily controlled through their interlayer separation, can have significant influence on the electronic properties of these composite materials. Here, we demonstrate unprecedented control over interlayer interactions by locally modifying the interlayer separation between graphene and boron nitride, which we achieve by applying pressure with a scanning tunnelling microscopy tip. For the special case of aligned or nearly-aligned graphene on boron nitride, the graphene lattice can stretch and compress locally to compensate for the slight lattice mismatch between the two materials. We find that modifying the interlayer separation directly tunes the lattice strain and induces commensurate stacking underneath the tip. Our results motivate future studies tailoring the electronic properties of van der Waals heterostructures by controlling the interlayer separation of the entire device using hydrostatic pressure.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsU.S. Army Research Laboratory; U.S. Army Research Office [W911NF-14-1-0653]; National Science Foundation [DMR-0953784]; Spanish Ministry of Economy and Innovation [FIS2011-23713]; Ramon y Cajal programme [RYC-2013-14645]
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as © The Author(s) 2016. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Dynamic band-structure tuning of graphene moiré superlattices with pressure.
- Authors: Yankowitz M, Jung J, Laksono E, Leconte N, Chittari BL, Watanabe K, Taniguchi T, Adam S, Graf D, Dean CR
- Issue date: 2018 May
- Interactions in stanene centred van der Waals trilayers structures of boron-nitride and graphene: effect of mirror symmetry on electronic interactions.
- Authors: Yun FF, Cortie DL, Wang XL
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 17
- Influence of Proximity to Supporting Substrate on van der Waals Epitaxy of Atomically Thin Graphene/Hexagonal Boron Nitride Heterostructures.
- Authors: Heilmann M, Prikhodko AS, Hanke M, Sabelfeld A, Borgardt NI, Lopes JMJ
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 19
- Evidence of Local Commensurate State with Lattice Match of Graphene on Hexagonal Boron Nitride.
- Authors: Kim NY, Jeong HY, Kim JH, Kim G, Shin HS, Lee Z
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 25
- Unraveling the 3D Atomic Structure of a Suspended Graphene/hBN van der Waals Heterostructure.
- Authors: Argentero G, Mittelberger A, Reza Ahmadpour Monazam M, Cao Y, Pennycook TJ, Mangler C, Kramberger C, Kotakoski J, Geim AK, Meyer JC
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 8