Proteomics tools reveal startlingly high amounts of oxytocin in plasma and serum
AuthorBrandtzaeg, Ole Kristian
Seip, Knut Fredrik
MacLean, Evan L.
Gesquiere, Laurence R.
Wilson, Steven Ray
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Sch Anthropol
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationProteomics tools reveal startlingly high amounts of oxytocin in plasma and serum 2016, 6:31693 Scientific Reports
Rights© The Author(s) 2016. This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractThe neuropeptide oxytocin (OT) is associated with a plethora of social behaviors, and is a key topic at the intersection of psychology and biology. However, tools for measuring OT are still not fully developed. We describe a robust nano liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry (nanoLC-MS) platform for measuring the total amount of OT in human plasma/serum. OT binds strongly to plasma proteins, but a reduction/alkylation (R/A) procedure breaks this bond, enabling ample detection of total OT. The method (R/A + robust nanoLC-MS) was used to determine total OT plasma/serum levels to startlingly high concentrations (high pg/mL-ng/mL). Similar results were obtained when combining R/A and ELISA. Compared to measuring free OT, measuring total OT can have advantages in e.g. biomarker studies.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsStanton Foundation; Molecular Life Science initiative of the University of Oslo (MLSuio); Norwegian Research Council
- Oxytocin analysis from human serum, urine, and saliva by orbitrap liquid chromatography-mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Franke AA, Li X, Menden A, Lee MR, Lai JF
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Measurement of ultra-trace level of intact oxytocin in plasma using SALLE combined with nano-LC-MS.
- Authors: Liu D, Han X, Liu X, Cheng M, He M, Rainer G, Gao H, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 5
- Ultra sensitive quantitation of endogenous oxytocin in rat and human plasma using a two-dimensional liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry assay.
- Authors: Zhang G, Zhang Y, Fast DM, Lin Z, Steenwyk R
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 1
- Simultaneous radioimmunoassay for plasma arginine-vasopressin and oxytocin using DEAE Sephadex A 25 extraction.
- Authors: Chiodera P, Louis F, Legros JJ
- Issue date: 1984 Aug
- Corra: Computational framework and tools for LC-MS discovery and targeted mass spectrometry-based proteomics.
- Authors: Brusniak MY, Bodenmiller B, Campbell D, Cooke K, Eddes J, Garbutt A, Lau H, Letarte S, Mueller LN, Sharma V, Vitek O, Zhang N, Aebersold R, Watts JD
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 16