Capacity achieving nonbinary LDPC coded non-uniform shaping modulation for adaptive optical communications.
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Elect & Comp Engn
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationCapacity achieving nonbinary LDPC coded non-uniform shaping modulation for adaptive optical communications. 2016, 24 (16):18095-104 Opt Express
Rights© 2016 Optical Society of America
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractA mutual information inspired nonbinary coded modulation design with non-uniform shaping is proposed. Instead of traditional power of two signal constellation sizes, we design 5-QAM, 7-QAM and 9-QAM constellations, which can be used in adaptive optical networks. The non-uniform shaping and LDPC code rate are jointly considered in the design, which results in a better performance scheme for the same SNR values. The matched nonbinary (NB) LDPC code is used for this scheme, which further improves the coding gain and the overall performance. We analyze both coding performance and system SNR performance. We show that the proposed NB LDPC-coded 9-QAM has more than 2dB gain in symbol SNR compared to traditional LDPC-coded star-8-QAM. On the other hand, the proposed NB LDPC-coded 5-QAM and 7-QAM have even better performance than LDPC-coded QPSK.
VersionFinal published version
- Advanced GF(3<sup>2</sup>) nonbinary LDPC coded modulation with non-uniform 9-QAM outperforming star 8-QAM.
- Authors: Liu T, Lin C, Djordjevic IB
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 27
- FPGA-based rate-adaptive LDPC-coded modulation for the next generation of optical communication systems.
- Authors: Zou D, Djordjevic IB
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 5
- Polarization-multiplexed rate-adaptive non-binary-quasi-cyclic-LDPC-coded multilevel modulation with coherent detection for optical transport networks.
- Authors: Arabaci M, Djordjevic IB, Saunders R, Marcoccia RM
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 1
- Evaluation of four-dimensional nonbinary LDPC-coded modulation for next-generation long-haul optical transport networks.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Arabaci M, Djordjevic IB
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 9
- LDPC-coded orbital angular momentum (OAM) modulation for free-space optical communication.
- Authors: Djordjevic IB, Arabaci M
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 22