Relative efficacy of nicotinamide treatment of a mouse model of infantile Niemann-Pick C1 disease
AffiliationDepartment of Pediatrics, University of Arizona
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRelative efficacy of nicotinamide treatment of a mouse model of infantile Niemann-Pick C1 disease 2016, 58 (1):99 Journal of Applied Genetics
JournalJournal of Applied Genetics
Rights© Institute of Plant Genetics, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poznan 2016
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractNicotinamide delivered in drinking water at about 2 g/kg/day significantly prolonged survival and showed a suggestive improvement on memory in the Npc1 (nih) / Npc1 (nih) mouse model of infantile NPC1 disease. It is likely that this role is due to its function as a histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitor although another HDAC inhibitor, valproic acid, was without effect. Nicotinamide could also work by preventing/reversing oxidative stress.
Note12 month embargo; First Online: 25 October 2016
VersionFinal accepted manuscript
SponsorsWings Like Eagles Foundation, Tucson, AZ
- Normalization of Hepatic Homeostasis in the <i>Npc1<sup>nmf164</sup></i> Mouse Model of Niemann-Pick Type C Disease Treated with the Histone Deacetylase Inhibitor Vorinostat.
- Authors: Munkacsi AB, Hammond N, Schneider RT, Senanayake DS, Higaki K, Lagutin K, Bloor SJ, Ory DS, Maue RA, Chen FW, Hernandez-Ono A, Dahlson N, Repa JJ, Ginsberg HN, Ioannou YA, Sturley SL
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 17
- The potential of histone deacetylase inhibitors in Niemann - Pick type C disease.
- Authors: Maceyka M, Milstien S, Spiegel S
- Issue date: 2013 Dec
- 2-Hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin is the active component in a triple combination formulation for treatment of Niemann-Pick C1 disease.
- Authors: Davidson J, Molitor E, Moores S, Gale SE, Subramanian K, Jiang X, Sidhu R, Kell P, Zhang J, Fujiwara H, Davidson C, Helquist P, Melancon BJ, Grigalunas M, Liu G, Salahi F, Wiest O, Xu X, Porter FD, Pipalia NH, Cruz DL, Holson EB, Schaffer JE, Walkley SU, Maxfield FR, Ory DS
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Histone deacetylase inhibitor treatment dramatically reduces cholesterol accumulation in Niemann-Pick type C1 mutant human fibroblasts.
- Authors: Pipalia NH, Cosner CC, Huang A, Chatterjee A, Bourbon P, Farley N, Helquist P, Wiest O, Maxfield FR
- Issue date: 2011 Apr 5
- Defective cholesterol traffic and neuronal differentiation in neural stem cells of Niemann-Pick type C disease improved by valproic acid, a histone deacetylase inhibitor.
- Authors: Kim SJ, Lee BH, Lee YS, Kang KS
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 31