A modified Park's stitch to correct aortic insufficiency for bioprosthetic valve at time of left ventricular assist device implant: a case report
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Div Cardiothorac Surg, Banner Univ Med Ctr Tucson
Univ Arizona, Banner Univ Med Ctr Tucson, Div Cardiol
Aortic valve repair
Left ventricular assist device
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherBIOMED CENTRAL LTD
CitationA modified Park's stitch to correct aortic insufficiency for bioprosthetic valve at time of left ventricular assist device implant: a case report 2016, 11 (1) Journal of Cardiothoracic Surgery
Rights© The Author(s). 2016 This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractBackground: Aortic valve insufficiency (AI) at the time of left ventricular assist device (LVAD) insertion needs to be corrected, however there is little known about how to manage bioprosthetic valvular AI. Case presentation: A 55-year-old female with dilated cardiomyopathy who previously had a bioprosthetic aortic valve replacement needed a LVAD as a bridge to transplant. Her left ventricular ejection fraction was 10% and had mild to moderate transvalvular AI. She underwent a HeartWare HVAD insertion along with aortic valvular coaptation stitch repair (Park's stitch) to the bioprosthetic valve. Conclusion: Her AI improved to trivial with minimal ejection through the bioprosthetic valve. She was transplanted 6 months following the surgery. A Park's stitch to the bioprosthetic aortic valve with more than mild AI might be a good option for bridge to transplant patient.
VersionFinal published version
CollectionsUA Faculty Publications
- Park's stitch for a bicuspid aortic valve in a patient on LVAD support.
- Authors: Maoz-Metzl D, Morsy M, Khalife WI, Lick SD
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Is a Bioprosthetic Valve in the Aortic Position Desirable with a Continuous Flow LVAD?
- Authors: Doi A, Marasco SF, McGiffin DC
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Surgical correction of aortic valve insufficiency after left ventricular assist device implantation.
- Authors: Atkins BZ, Hashmi ZA, Ganapathi AM, Harrison JK, Hughes GC, Rogers JG, Milano CA
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Management of aortic insufficiency with continuous flow left ventricular assist devices: bioprosthetic valve replacement.
- Authors: Feldman CM, Silver MA, Sobieski MA, Slaughter MS
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Durability of central aortic valve closure in patients with continuous flow left ventricular assist devices.
- Authors: McKellar SH, Deo S, Daly RC, Durham LA 3rd, Joyce LD, Stulak JM, Park SJ
- Issue date: 2014 Jan