Optimal design and performance metric of broadband full-Stokes polarimeters with immunity to Poisson and Gaussian noise
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationOptimal design and performance metric of broadband full-Stokes polarimeters with immunity to Poisson and Gaussian noise 2016, 24 (26):29691 Optics Express
Rights© 2016 Optical Society of America
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractIn this paper, the design, optimization and analysis of broadband full-Stokes polarimeters with immunity to both Poisson and Gaussian noise are presented. Different from the commonly-used optimization metrics such as, the condition number (CN), the equally weighted variance (EWV), or the polarimetric modulation efficiency (PME) for Gaussian noise, the optimally balanced condition for Poisson noise (BCPN) is, for the first time, proposed and used as a metric for the optimization of polarimeters. The numerical results show that the polarimeters optimized with the BCPN have immunity to both Poisson and Gaussian noise. The broadband polarimeters optimized from the BCPN are achromatic and have similar polarimetric modulation properties over the waveband, in contrast to the polychromatic polarimeters optimized from the CN, EWV and PME, whose polarimetric modulation properties vary with wavelength. (C) 2016 Optical Society of America
NoteOpen Access Journal.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsChina Scholarship ; Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities of China [xjj2013044]; Specialized Research Fund for the Doctoral Program of Higher Education of China ; Natural Science Basic Research Plan in Shaanxi Province of China [2014JQ8362]; National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) [41530422, 61275184, 61405153, 61540018]; National Major Project [32-Y30B08-9001-13/15]
- Achromatization of waveplate for broadband polarimetric system.
- Authors: Mu T, Zhang C, Li Q, Liang R
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 1
- Noise properties of uniformly-rotating RRFP Stokes polarimeters.
- Authors: Dong H, Tang M, Gong Y
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 22
- Wavelength-diverse polarization modulators for Stokes polarimetry.
- Authors: Tomczyk S, Casini R, de Wijn AG, Nelson PG
- Issue date: 2010 Jun 20
- Estimation precision of full polarimetric parameters in the presence of additive and Poisson noise.
- Authors: Dai J, Goudail F, Boffety M, Gao J
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 24
- Stokes polarimeter optimization in the presence of shot and Gaussian noise.
- Authors: Lara D, Paterson C
- Issue date: 2009 Nov 9