Self-Channeling of High-Power Long-Wave Infrared Pulses in Atomic Gases
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Arizona Ctr Math Sci, Dept Math
Univ Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherAMER PHYSICAL SOC
CitationSelf-Channeling of High-Power Long-Wave Infrared Pulses in Atomic Gases 2017, 118 (6) Physical Review Letters
JournalPhysical Review Letters
Rights© 2017 American Physical Society
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractWe simulate and elucidate the self-channeling of high-power 10 mu m infrared pulses in atomic gases. The major new result is that the peak intensity can remain remarkably stable over many Rayleigh ranges. This arises from the balance between the self-focusing, diffraction, and defocusing caused by the excitation induced dephasing due to many-body Coulomb effects that enhance the low-intensity plasma densities. This new paradigm removes the Rayleigh range limit for sources in the 8-12 mu m atmospheric transmission window and enables transport of individual multi-TW pulses over multiple kilometer ranges.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsAir Force Office of Scientific Research [FA9550-16-1-0088, FA9550-15-1-0272]
- Multi-terawatt 10 μm pulse atmospheric delivery over multiple Rayleigh ranges.
- Authors: Schuh K, Panagiotopoulos P, Kolesik M, Koch SW, Moloney JV
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 1
- Mid-infrared laser filaments in the atmosphere.
- Authors: Mitrofanov AV, Voronin AA, Sidorov-Biryukov DA, Pugžlys A, Stepanov EA, Andriukaitis G, Flöry T, Ališauskas S, Fedotov AB, Baltuška A, Zheltikov AM
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 17
- Influence of many-body interactions during the ionization of gases by short intense optical pulses.
- Authors: Schuh K, Hader J, Moloney JV, Koch SW
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- All-optical suppression of relativistic self-focusing of laser beams in plasmas.
- Authors: Kalmykov SY, Yi SA, Shvets G
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- Ultrahigh-brightness, spectrally-flat, short-wave infrared supercontinuum source for long-range atmospheric applications.
- Authors: Yin K, Zhu R, Zhang B, Jiang T, Chen S, Hou J
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 5