AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Med
Univ Arizona, Dept Surg
Keywordsundergraduate medical education
ultrasound-guided needle aspiration
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherDOVE MEDICAL PRESS LTD
CitationCadaver-based abscess model for medical training 2017, Volume 8:85 Advances in Medical Education and Practice
Rights© 2017 Ellis et al. This work is published and licensed by Dove Medical Press Limited. The full terms of this license are available at https://www.dovepress.com/terms. php and incorporate the Creative Commons Attribution – Non Commercial (unported, v3.0) License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractUltrasound imaging is a rapid and noninvasive tool ideal for the imaging of soft tissue infections and is associated with a change of clinician management plans in 50% of cases. We developed a realistic skin abscess diagnostic and therapeutic training model using fresh frozen cadavers and common, affordable materials. Details for construction of the model and suggested variations are presented. This cadaver-based abscess model produces high-quality sonographic images with internal echogenicity similar to a true clinical abscess, and is ideal for teaching sonographic diagnostic skills in addition to the technical skills of incision and drainage or needle aspiration.
NoteOpen Access Journal.
VersionFinal published version
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as © 2017 Ellis et al. This work is published and licensed by Dove Medical Press Limited. The full terms of this license are available at https://www.dovepress.com/terms. php and incorporate the Creative Commons Attribution – Non Commercial (unported, v3.0) License.
- Cadaver-based Necrotizing Fasciitis Model for Medical Training.
- Authors: Mohty KM, Cravens MG, Adamas-Rappaport WJ, Amini-Shervin B, Irving SC, Stea N, Adhikari S, Amini R
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 14
- Introducing a Fresh Cadaver Model for Ultrasound-guided Central Venous Access Training in Undergraduate Medical Education.
- Authors: Miller R, Ho H, Ng V, Tran M, Rappaport D, Rappaport WJ, Dandorf SJ, Dunleavy J, Viscusi R, Amini R
- Issue date: 2016 May
- A low-cost high-fidelity model for abscess simulation.
- Authors: Done AJ, Fairres MJ, Heiler JC, Smith CJ, Rappaport W
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- A Fresh Cadaver Model for the Instruction of Ultrasound-Guided Fine-Needle Aspiration of Thyroid Nodules.
- Authors: McCrary HC, Faucett EA, Hurbon AN, Milinic T, Cervantes JA, Kent SL, Adamas-Rappaport WJ
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- A skin abscess model for teaching incision and drainage procedures.
- Authors: Fitch MT, Manthey DE, McGinnis HD, Nicks BA, Pariyadath M
- Issue date: 2008 Jul 3