AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Med
Univ Arizona, Dept Surg
Keywordsundergraduate medical education
ultrasound-guided needle aspiration
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherDOVE MEDICAL PRESS LTD
CitationCadaver-based abscess model for medical training 2017, Volume 8:85 Advances in Medical Education and Practice
Rights© 2017 Ellis et al. This work is published and licensed by Dove Medical Press Limited. The full terms of this license are available at https://www.dovepress.com/terms. php and incorporate the Creative Commons Attribution – Non Commercial (unported, v3.0) License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractUltrasound imaging is a rapid and noninvasive tool ideal for the imaging of soft tissue infections and is associated with a change of clinician management plans in 50% of cases. We developed a realistic skin abscess diagnostic and therapeutic training model using fresh frozen cadavers and common, affordable materials. Details for construction of the model and suggested variations are presented. This cadaver-based abscess model produces high-quality sonographic images with internal echogenicity similar to a true clinical abscess, and is ideal for teaching sonographic diagnostic skills in addition to the technical skills of incision and drainage or needle aspiration.
NoteOpen Access Journal.
VersionFinal published version
- Cadaver-based Necrotizing Fasciitis Model for Medical Training.
- Authors: Mohty KM, Cravens MG, Adamas-Rappaport WJ, Amini-Shervin B, Irving SC, Stea N, Adhikari S, Amini R
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 14
- A skin abscess model for teaching incision and drainage procedures.
- Authors: Fitch MT, Manthey DE, McGinnis HD, Nicks BA, Pariyadath M
- Issue date: 2008 Jul 3
- A Readily Available, Inexpensive, and Reusable Simulation Model for Teaching Ultrasound-Guided Abscess Identification and Drainage.
- Authors: Augenstein JA, Yoshida H, Lo MD, Solari P
- Issue date: 2016 Mar
- Benefits and Pitfalls of Cadavers as Learning Tool for Ultrasound-guided Regional Anesthesia.
- Authors: Sawhney C, Lalwani S, Ray BR, Sinha S, Kumar A
- Issue date: 2017 Jan-Mar
- A low-cost high-fidelity model for abscess simulation.
- Authors: Done AJ, Fairres MJ, Heiler JC, Smith CJ, Rappaport W
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 19