Effects of aging on figure-ground perception: Convexity context effects and competition resolution
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherASSOC RESEARCH VISION OPHTHALMOLOGY INC
CitationEffects of aging on figure-ground perception: Convexity context effects and competition resolution 2017, 17 (2):15 Journal of Vision
JournalJournal of Vision
RightsCopyright 2017 The Authors This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractWe examined age-related differences in figure-ground perception by exploring the effect of age on Convexity Context Effects (CCE; Peterson & Salvagio, 2008). Experiment 1, using Peterson and Salvagio's procedure and black and white stimuli consisting of 2 to 8 alternating concave and convex regions, established that older adults exhibited reduced CCEs compared to younger adults. Experiments 2 and 3 demonstrated that this age difference was found at various stimulus durations and sizes. Experiment 4 compared CCEs obtained with achromatic stimuli, in which the alternating convex and concave regions were each all black or all white, and chromatic stimuli in which the concave regions were homogeneous in color but the convex regions varied in color. We found that the difference between CCEs measured with achromatic and colored stimuli was larger in older than in younger adults. Our results are consistent with the hypothesis that the senescent visual system is less able to resolve the competition among various perceptual interpretations of the figure-ground relations among stimulus regions.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsCanadian Institute of Health Research; Canada Research Chair Programme; Office of Naval Research; National Science Foundation
- Inhibitory competition in figure-ground perception: context and convexity.
- Authors: Peterson MA, Salvagio E
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 15
- A Bayesian observer replicates convexity context effects in figure-ground perception.
- Authors: Goldreich D, Peterson MA
- Issue date: 2012
- Globally inconsistent figure/ground relations induced by a negative part.
- Authors: Kim SH, Feldman J
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 10
- Figure-Ground Processing: A Reassessment of Gelb and Granit.
- Authors: Nelson R, Hebda N
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Display-wide influences on figure-ground perception: the case of symmetry.
- Authors: Mojica AJ, Peterson MA
- Issue date: 2014 May