AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Elect & Comp Engn
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationFPGA-based LDPC-coded APSK for optical communication systems 2017, 25 (4):3133 Optics Express
Rights© 2017 Optical Society of America
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractIn this paper, with the aid of mutual information and generalized mutual information (GMI) capacity analyses, it is shown that the geometrically shaped APSK that mimics an optimal Gaussian distribution with equiprobable signaling together with the corresponding gray-mapping rules can approach the Shannon limit closer than conventional quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM) at certain range of FEC overhead for both 16-APSK and 64-APSK. The field programmable gate array (FPGA) based LDPC-coded APSK emulation is conducted on block interleaver-based and bit interleaver-based systems; the results verify a significant improvement in hardware efficient bit interleaver-based systems. In bit interleaver-based emulation, the LDPC-coded 64-APSK outperforms 64-QAM, in terms of symbol signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), by 0.1 dB, 0.2 dB, and 0.3 dB at spectral efficiencies of 4.8, 4.5, and 4.2 b/s/Hz, respectively. It is found by emulation that LDPC-coded 64-APSK for spectral efficiencies of 4.8, 4.5, and 4.2 b/s/Hz is 1.6 dB, 1.7 dB, and 2.2 dB away from the GMI capacity. (C) 2017 Optical Society of America
NoteOpen Access Journal.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsNational Science Foundation (NSF) CIAN ERC [EEC-0812072]; ONR MURI program [N00014-13-1-0627]
- FPGA-based rate-adaptive LDPC-coded modulation for the next generation of optical communication systems.
- Authors: Zou D, Djordjevic IB
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 5
- Run-time reconfigurable adaptive LDPC coding for optical channels.
- Authors: Sun X, Zou D, Qu Z, Djordjevic IB
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 29
- Capacity achieving nonbinary LDPC coded non-uniform shaping modulation for adaptive optical communications.
- Authors: Lin C, Zou D, Liu T, Djordjevic IB
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 8
- Advanced GF(3<sup>2</sup>) nonbinary LDPC coded modulation with non-uniform 9-QAM outperforming star 8-QAM.
- Authors: Liu T, Lin C, Djordjevic IB
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 27
- Experimental and numerical comparison of probabilistically shaped 4096 QAM and a uniformly shaped 1024 QAM in all-Raman amplified 160 km transmission.
- Authors: Okamoto S, Terayama M, Yoshida M, Kasai K, Hirooka T, Nakazawa M
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 5