An Analysis of Quality Improvement Education at US Colleges of Pharmacy.
Stolpe, Samuel F
Hincapie, Ana L
Nelson, Melissa L
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Pharm
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherAMER ASSOC COLL PHARMACY
CitationAn Analysis of Quality Improvement Education at US Colleges of Pharmacy. 2017, 81 (3):51 Am J Pharm Educ
Rights© 2017 American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractObjective. Analyze quality improvement (QI) education across US pharmacy programs. Methods. This was a two stage cross-sectional study that inspected each accredited school website for published QI curriculum or related content, and e-mailed a questionnaire to each school asking about QI curriculum or content. T-test and chi square were used for analysis with an alpha a priori set at .05. Results. Sixty responses (47% response rate) revealed the least-covered QI topics: quality dashboards /sentinel systems (30%); six-sigma or other QI methodologies (45%); safety and quality measures (57%); Medicare Star measures and payment incentives (58%); and how to implement changes to improve quality (60%). More private institutions covered Adverse Drug Events than public institutions and required a dedicated QI class; however, required QI projects were more often reported by public institutions. Conclusion. Despite the need for pharmacists to understand QI, it is not covered well in school curricula.
VersionFinal published version
- Quality Improvement and Safety in US Pharmacy Schools.
- Authors: McManus K, Metrejean C, Schweitzer K, Cooley J, Warholak T
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Educating Pharmacy Students to Improve Quality (EPIQ) in colleges and schools of pharmacy.
- Authors: Gilligan AM, Myers J, Nash JD, Lavigne JE, Moczygemba LR, Plake KS, Quiñones-Boex AC, Holdford D, West-Strum D, Warholak TL
- Issue date: 2012 Aug 10
- Curriculum and instructional methods for drug information, literature evaluation, and biostatistics: survey of US pharmacy schools.
- Authors: Phillips JA, Gabay MP, Ficzere C, Ward KE
- Issue date: 2012 Jun
- The science of safety curriculum in US colleges and schools of pharmacy.
- Authors: West-Strum D, Basak R, Bentley JP, Holdford DA, Warholak TL, Malone DC, Murphy JE
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 10
- Pharmacoeconomics education in US colleges and schools of pharmacy.
- Authors: Makhinova T, Rascati K
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 12