Design, fabrication and testing of achromatic elliptical polarizer
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationDesign, fabrication and testing of achromatic elliptical polarizer 2017, 25 (9):10355 Optics Express
Rights© 2017 Optical Society of America
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractA method of designing achromatic elliptical polarizers using a combination of multiple birefringent waveplates is demonstrated. This approach has a simple geometric interpretation and simplifies the problem of designing an achromatic elliptical polarizer to find overlapping arcs on the Poincare sphere. The technique is applied to the design of achromatic elliptical polarizers for a broadband division-of-focal-plane full-Stokes imaging polarimeter for visible wavelength band (lambda = 450nm to 650nm). An achromatic elliptical polarizer sample with a two-layer retarder is fabricated using liquid crystal polymer. The performance of the polarizer sample is measured and compared with the theoretical calculation. For comparison, a superachromatic polarizer design (lambda = 400nm to 1 mu m) is also presented by using three-layer and four-layer retarder configurations. (C) 2017 Optical Society of America
NoteOpen Access Journal.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsArizona Technology Research Infrastructure Fund (TRIF); National Science Foundation (NSF) 
- Full-Stokes imaging polarimeter using an array of elliptical polarizer.
- Authors: Hsu WL, Myhre G, Balakrishnan K, Brock N, Ibn-Elhaj M, Pau S
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 10
- Optimized design, calibration, and validation of an achromatic snapshot full-Stokes imaging polarimeter.
- Authors: Mu T, Bao D, Han F, Sun Y, Chen Z, Tang Q, Zhang C
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 5
- Imaging Stokes polarimeter based on a single liquid crystal variable retarder.
- Authors: Woźniak WA, Prętka M, Kurzynowski P
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 10
- Improvement in birefringent filters. 4: The alternate partial polarizer filter.
- Authors: Title AM
- Issue date: 1976 Nov 1
- Patterned color liquid crystal polymer polarizers.
- Authors: Myhre G, Sayyad A, Pau S
- Issue date: 2010 Dec 20