AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Phys
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherAMER PHYSICAL SOC
CitationChiral Shock Waves 2017, 118 (18) Physical Review Letters
JournalPhysical Review Letters
Rights© 2017 American Physical Society
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractWe study the shock waves in relativistic chiral matter. We argue that the conventional Rankine-Hugoinot relations are modified due to the presence of chiral transport phenomena. We show that the entropy discontinuity in a weak shock wave is quadratic in the pressure discontinuity when the effect of chiral transport becomes sufficiently large. We also show that rarefaction shock waves, which do not exist in usual nonchiral fluids, can appear in chiral matter. The direction of shock wave propagation is found to be completely determined by the direction of the vorticity and the chirality of fermions. These features are exemplified by shock propagation in dense neutrino matter in the hydrodynamic regime.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsJSPS KAKENHI [16K17703]; MEXT-Supported Program for the Strategic Research Foundation at Private Universities, "Topological Science" [S1511006]; U.S. Department of Energy [DE-FG02-04ER41338]
- Nonlinear reflection of shock shear waves in soft elastic media.
- Authors: Pinton G, Coulouvrat F, Gennisson JL, Tanter M
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Nonlinear hydrodynamic waves: effects of the equation of state.
- Authors: Bulgakova NM, Burakov IM
- Issue date: 2004 Sep
- Characteristics of surface plasmon polaritons at a chiral-metal interface.
- Authors: Mi G, Van V
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 1
- Relativistic shock waves in viscous gluon matter.
- Authors: Bouras I, Molnár E, Niemi H, Xu Z, El A, Fochler O, Greiner C, Rischke DH
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 17
- Normal velocity freeze-out of the Richtmyer-Meshkov instability when a rarefaction is reflected.
- Authors: Wouchuk JG, Sano T
- Issue date: 2015 Feb