Rapid visualization of grain boundaries in monolayer MoS2 by multiphoton microscopy
Huttunen, Mikko J.
Norwood, Robert A.
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationRapid visualization of grain boundaries in monolayer MoS2 by multiphoton microscopy 2017, 8:15714 Nature Communications
RightsOpen Access: This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractGrain boundaries have a major effect on the physical properties of two-dimensional layered materials. Therefore, it is important to develop simple, fast and sensitive characterization methods to visualize grain boundaries. Conventional Raman and photoluminescence methods have been used for detecting grain boundaries; however, these techniques are better suited for detection of grain boundaries with a large crystal axis rotation between neighbouring grains. Here we show rapid visualization of grain boundaries in chemical vapour deposited monolayer MoS2 samples with multiphoton microscopy. In contrast to Raman and photoluminescence imaging, third-harmonic generation microscopy provides excellent sensitivity and high speed for grain boundary visualization regardless of the degree of crystal axis rotation. We find that the contrast associated with grain boundaries in the third-harmonic imaging is considerably enhanced by the solvents commonly used in the transfer process of two-dimensional materials. Our results demonstrate that multiphoton imaging can be used for fast and sensitive characterization of two-dimensional materials.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsAcademy of Finland [276376, 284548, 295777, 304666]; TEKES (NP-Nano, OPEC); European Union ; Finnish Cultural Foundation; AFOSR COMAS MURI [FA9550-10-1-0558]; ONR NECom MURI; CIAN NSF ERC [EEC-0812072]; TRIF Photonics from the state of Arizona
- Spectroscopic Visualization of Grain Boundaries of Monolayer Molybdenum Disulfide by Stacking Bilayers.
- Authors: Park S, Kim MS, Kim H, Lee J, Han GH, Jung J, Kim J
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 24
- Grains and grain boundaries in single-layer graphene atomic patchwork quilts.
- Authors: Huang PY, Ruiz-Vargas CS, van der Zande AM, Whitney WS, Levendorf MP, Kevek JW, Garg S, Alden JS, Hustedt CJ, Zhu Y, Park J, McEuen PL, Muller DA
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 20
- Analysis of noise generation and electric conduction at grain boundaries in CVD-grown MoS<sub>2</sub> field effect transistors.
- Authors: Kim JK, Song Y, Kim TY, Cho K, Pak J, Choi BY, Shin J, Chung S, Lee T
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 24
- Centimeter-Scale CVD Growth of Highly Crystalline Single-Layer MoS<sub>2</sub> Film with Spatial Homogeneity and the Visualization of Grain Boundaries.
- Authors: Tao L, Chen K, Chen Z, Chen W, Gui X, Chen H, Li X, Xu JB
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 5
- Visualization of Grain Structure and Boundaries of Polycrystalline Graphene and Two-Dimensional Materials by Epitaxial Growth of Transition Metal Dichalcogenides.
- Authors: Ago H, Fukamachi S, Endo H, Solís-Fernández P, Yunus RM, Uchida Y, Panchal V, Kazakova O, Tsuji M
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 22