Volume holographic imaging endoscopic design and construction techniques
AuthorHowlett, Isela D.
Barton, Jennifer K.
Kostuk, Raymond K.
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Ctr Opt Sci
Univ Arizona, Dept Elect & Comp Engn
Univ Arizona, Biomed Engn Dept
MetadataShow full item record
CitationVolume holographic imaging endoscopic design and construction techniques 2017, 22 (5):056010 Journal of Biomedical Optics
JournalJournal of Biomedical Optics
Rights© 2017 Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractA reflectance volume holographic imaging (VHI) endoscope has been designed for simultaneous in vivo imaging of surface and subsurface tissue structures. Prior utilization of VHI systems has been limited to ex vivo tissue imaging. The VHI system presented in this work is designed for laparoscopic use. It consists of a probe section that relays light from the tissue sample to a handheld unit that contains the VHI microscope. The probe section is constructed from gradient index (GRIN) lenses that form a 1: 1 relay for image collection. The probe has an outer diameter of 3.8 mm and is capable of achieving 228.1 lp/mm resolution with 660-nm Kohler illumination. The handheld optical section operates with a magnification of 13.9 and a field of view of 390 mu m x 244 mu m. System performance is assessed through imaging of 1951 USAF resolution targets and soft tissue samples. The system has also passed sterilization procedures required for surgical use and has been used in two laparoscopic surgical procedures. (C) 2017 Society of Photo-Optical Instrumentation Engineers (SPIE)
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsNational Institutes of Health (NIH) [R01Ca134424]; National Science Foundation Bridge to the Doctorate Fellowship; UA-NASA Space Grant; Alfred P. Sloan Foundation (Sloan Foundation, Minority PhD program)
- Wavelength-coded volume holographic imaging endoscope for multidepth imaging.
- Authors: Howlett ID, Han W, Rice P, Barton JK, Kostuk RK
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Volume Holographic Reflection Endoscope for In-Vivo Ovarian Cancer Clinical Studies.
- Authors: Howlett ID, Gordon M, Brownlee JW, Barton JK, Kostuk RK
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 4
- Design of a handheld optical coherence microscopy endoscope.
- Authors: Korde VR, Liebmann E, Barton JK
- Issue date: 2011 Jun
- Minimally invasive holographic surface scanning for soft-tissue image registration.
- Authors: Lathrop RA, Hackworth DM, Webster RJ 3rd
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- Miniaturized digital holography sensor for distal three-dimensional endoscopy.
- Authors: Kolenovic E, Osten W, Klattenhoff R, Lai S, von Kopylow C, Jüptner W
- Issue date: 2003 Sep 1