AEDT: A new concept for ecological dynamics in the ever-changing world
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Ecol & Evolutionary Biol
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherPUBLIC LIBRARY SCIENCE
CitationAEDT: A new concept for ecological dynamics in the ever-changing world 2017, 15 (5):e2002634 PLOS Biology
Rights© 2017 Peter Chesson. This is an open access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractThe important concept of equilibrium has always been controversial in ecology, but a new, more general concept, an asymptotic environmentally determined trajectory (AEDT), overcomes many concerns with equilibrium by realistically incorporating long-term climate change while retaining much of the predictive power of a stable equilibrium. A population or ecological community is predicted to approach its AEDT, which is a function of time reflecting environmental history and biology. The AEDT invokes familiar questions and predictions but in a more realistic context in which consideration of past environments and a future changing profoundly due to human influence becomes possible. Strong applications are also predicted in population genetics, evolution, earth sciences, and economics.
NoteOpen access journal.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsNational Science Foundation [DEB 1119784]
- Evolution in a changing environment.
- Authors: Baronchelli A, Chater N, Christiansen MH, Pastor-Satorras R
- Issue date: 2013
- Disequilibrium vegetation dynamics under future climate change.
- Authors: Svenning JC, Sandel B
- Issue date: 2013 Jul
- Improving the forecast for biodiversity under climate change.
- Authors: Urban MC, Bocedi G, Hendry AP, Mihoub JB, Pe'er G, Singer A, Bridle JR, Crozier LG, De Meester L, Godsoe W, Gonzalez A, Hellmann JJ, Holt RD, Huth A, Johst K, Krug CB, Leadley PW, Palmer SC, Pantel JH, Schmitz A, Zollner PA, Travis JM
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 9
- Long-term oceanographic and ecological research in the Western English Channel.
- Authors: Southward AJ, Langmead O, Hardman-Mountford NJ, Aiken J, Boalch GT, Dando PR, Genner MJ, Joint I, Kendall MA, Halliday NC, Harris RP, Leaper R, Mieszkowska N, Pingree RD, Richardson AJ, Sims DW, Smith T, Walne AW, Hawkins SJ
- Issue date: 2005
- Climate change. Dr. Cool.
- Authors: Kintisch E
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 18