AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Phys
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherINT UNION CRYSTALLOGRAPHY
CitationThe relativistic foundations of synchrotron radiation 2017, 24 (4):898 Journal of Synchrotron Radiation
JournalJournal of Synchrotron Radiation
Rights© 2017 Giorgio Margaritondo et al.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractSpecial relativity (SR) determines the properties of synchrotron radiation, but the corresponding mechanisms are frequently misunderstood. Time dilation is often invoked among the causes, whereas its role would violate the principles of SR. Here it is shown that the correct explanation of the synchrotron radiation properties is provided by a combination of the Doppler shift, not dependent on time dilation effects, contrary to a common belief, and of the Lorentz transformation into the particle reference frame of the electromagnetic field of the emission-inducing device, also with no contribution from time dilation. Concluding, the reader is reminded that much, if not all, of our argument has been available since the inception of SR, a research discipline of its own standing.
NoteLicensed under Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY).
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsEcole Polytechnique Federale de Lausannehttp; Centre d'Imagerie BioMedicale (CIBM)
- Answering Mermin's challenge with conservation per no preferred reference frame.
- Authors: Stuckey WM, Silberstein M, McDevitt T, Le TD
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 25
- Improved test of time dilation in special relativity.
- Authors: Saathoff G, Karpuk S, Eisenbarth U, Huber G, Krohn S, Muñoz Horta R, Reinhardt S, Schwalm D, Wolf A, Gwinner G
- Issue date: 2003 Nov 7
- Relativistic Doppler-boosted γ-rays in High Fields.
- Authors: Capdessus R, King M, Del Sorbo D, Duff M, Ridgers CP, McKenna P
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 14
- Test of time dilation using stored Li+ ions as clocks at relativistic speed.
- Authors: Botermann B, Bing D, Geppert C, Gwinner G, Hänsch TW, Huber G, Karpuk S, Krieger A, Kühl T, Nörtershäuser W, Novotny C, Reinhardt S, Sánchez R, Schwalm D, Stöhlker T, Wolf A, Saathoff G
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 19
- Trouble with the Lorentz law of force: incompatibility with special relativity and momentum conservation.
- Authors: Mansuripur M
- Issue date: 2012 May 11