Coccidioidal meningitis complicated by central nervous system vasculitis in a patient with leukemia
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Med
Univ Arizona, Dept Neurol, Banner Univ Med Ctr
Univ Arizona, Dept Med, Banner Univ Med Ctr
Univ Arizona, Dept Med, Banner Univ Med Ctr, Div Infect Dis
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
CitationCoccidioidal meningitis complicated by central nervous system vasculitis in a patient with leukemia 2017, 16:8 Medical Mycology Case Reports
JournalMedical Mycology Case Reports
Rights© 2017 The Authors. Published by Elsevier B.V. on behalf of International Society for Human and Animal Mycology.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractCentral Nervous System (CNS) vasculitis is the most common life-threatening complication of coccidioidal meningitis. It is manifested by cerebral ischemia, hemorrhage, and infarction. We report a case of CNS vasculitis in a patient receiving chemotherapy and review of the literature on coccidioidal meningitis. The patient was treated with combination antifungal therapy and a short course of high dose corticosteroids with a modest improvement in her neurological examination after initiation of steroids.
NoteOpen Access Journal.
VersionFinal published version
- Multiple Intracranial Aneurysms from Coccidioidal Meningitis: Case Report Featuring Aneurysm Formation and Spontaneous Thrombosis with Literature Review.
- Authors: Buchanan IA, Ravina K, Strickland B, Fredrickson V, She R, Mathew A, Rennert R, Russin JJ
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Coccidioidal meningitis: update on epidemiology, clinical features, diagnosis, and management.
- Authors: Blair JE
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Central Nervous System Infections Due to Coccidioidomycosis.
- Authors: Jackson NR, Blair JE, Ampel NM
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 28
- Coccidioidal meningitis in non-AIDS patients. A case series at a Mexican neurological referral center.
- Authors: Cárdenas G, Aristizábal S, Salinas C, Delgado-Hernández R, Angeles-Morales V, Soto-Hernández J, Castañón-Olivares LR, Hernández F
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Adjunctive Corticosteroid Therapy in the Treatment of Coccidioidal Meningitis.
- Authors: Thompson GR 3rd, Blair JE, Wang S, Bercovitch R, Bolaris M, Van Den Akker D, Lopez R, Heidari A, Catanzaro A, Cadena J, Chin-Hong P, Spellberg B, Johnson R
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 15