Coccidioidal meningitis complicated by central nervous system vasculitis in a patient with leukemia
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Med
Univ Arizona, Dept Neurol, Banner Univ Med Ctr
Univ Arizona, Dept Med, Banner Univ Med Ctr
Univ Arizona, Dept Med, Banner Univ Med Ctr, Div Infect Dis
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
CitationCoccidioidal meningitis complicated by central nervous system vasculitis in a patient with leukemia 2017, 16:8 Medical Mycology Case Reports
JournalMedical Mycology Case Reports
Rights© 2017 The Authors. Published by Elsevier B.V. on behalf of International Society for Human and Animal Mycology.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractCentral Nervous System (CNS) vasculitis is the most common life-threatening complication of coccidioidal meningitis. It is manifested by cerebral ischemia, hemorrhage, and infarction. We report a case of CNS vasculitis in a patient receiving chemotherapy and review of the literature on coccidioidal meningitis. The patient was treated with combination antifungal therapy and a short course of high dose corticosteroids with a modest improvement in her neurological examination after initiation of steroids.
NoteOpen Access Journal.
VersionFinal published version
CollectionsUA Faculty Publications
- Coccidioidal meningitis: update on epidemiology, clinical features, diagnosis, and management.
- Authors: Blair JE
- Issue date: 2009 Jul
- Temporal expression of inflammatory mediators in brain basilar artery vasculitis and cerebrospinal fluid of rabbits with coccidioidal meningitis.
- Authors: Zucker KE, Kamberi P, Sobel RA, Cloud G, Meli DN, Clemons KV, Stevens DA, Williams PL, Leib SL
- Issue date: 2006 Mar
- Disseminated coccidioidomycosis complicated by vasculitis: a cause of fatal subarachnoid hemorrhage in two cases.
- Authors: Erly WK, Labadie E, Williams PL, Lee DM, Carmody RF, Seeger JF
- Issue date: 1999 Oct
- Adjunctive Corticosteroid Therapy in the Treatment of Coccidioidal Meningitis.
- Authors: Thompson GR 3rd, Blair JE, Wang S, Bercovitch R, Bolaris M, Van Den Akker D, Lopez R, Heidari A, Catanzaro A, Cadena J, Chin-Hong P, Spellberg B, Johnson R
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 15
- Vasculitic complications associated with coccidioidal meningitis.
- Authors: Williams PL
- Issue date: 2001 Dec