Modal beam splitter: determination of the transversal components of an electromagnetic light field
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationModal beam splitter: determination of the transversal components of an electromagnetic light field 2017, 7 (1) Scientific Reports
Rights© The Author(s) 2017. Open Access. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractThe transversal profile of beams can always be defined as a superposition of orthogonal fields, such as optical eigenmodes. Here, we describe a generic method to separate the individual components in a laser beam and map each mode onto its designated detector with low crosstalk. We demonstrate this with the decomposition into Laguerre-Gaussian beams and introduce a distribution over the integer numbers corresponding to the discrete orbital and radial momentum components of the light field. The method is based on determining an eigenmask filter transforming the incident optical eigenmodes to position eigenmodes enabling the detection of the state of the light field using single detectors while minimizing cross talk with respect to the set of filter masks considered.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsUK Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council [EP/J01771X/1]
CollectionsUA Faculty Publications
- Modal characterization using principal component analysis: application to Bessel, higher-order Gaussian beams and their superposition.
- Authors: Mourka A, Mazilu M, Wright EM, Dholakia K
- Issue date: 2013
- Rapid complex mode decomposition of vector beams by common path interferometry.
- Authors: Fatemi FK, Beadie G
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 30
- Doughnut laser beam as an incoherent superposition of two petal beams.
- Authors: Litvin IA, Ngcobo S, Naidoo D, Ait-Ameur K, Forbes A
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 1
- Light scattering of a Laguerre-Gaussian vortex beam by a chiral sphere.
- Authors: Qu T, Wu ZS, Shang QC, Li ZJ
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 1
- Temporally shaped Laguerre-Gaussian femtosecond laser beams.
- Authors: Bolze T, Nuernberger P
- Issue date: 2018 May 1