AffiliationUniv Arizona, Banner Univ, Med Ctr, Dept Infect Dis
Univ Arizona, Banner Univ, Med Ctr, Dept Med
Univ Arizona, Banner Univ, Med Ctr, Dept Pathol
Univ Arizona, Banner Univ, Med Ctr, Dept Hematol Oncol
MetadataShow full item record
CitationHodgkin Lymphoma Mimicking Osteomyelitis 2017, 10 (2):542 Case Reports in Oncology
JournalCase Reports in Oncology
Rights© 2017 The Author(s). This article is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License (CC BY-NC).
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractHodgkin lymphoma with symptomatic osseous involvement can have a similar presentation to osteomyelitis. Common findings in symptoms, laboratory workup, and imaging can make it very difficult to distinguish between the two diseases. Excisional biopsy should be pursued if fine-needle biopsy is equivocal and suspicion of lymphoma is high. We report a case of a 40-year-old man who presented with a history of marine animal sting on his neck and later developed erythema in the area, chest pain, constitutional symptoms, adenopathy, and imaging classic for sternal osteomyelitis. Fortunately, initial biopsy prompted the possibility of lymphoma, and further workup was initiated, which confirmed Hodgkin lymphoma. This case is a good reminder that malignancies and infections can share many common features, and keeping a broad differential diagnosis can be lifesaving. Proper staging and risk stratification of Hodgkin lymphoma help determine the optimal treatment. (C) 2017 The Author(s) Published by S. Karger AG, Basel
NoteOpen Access Journal.
VersionFinal published version
- Classical Hodgkin lymphoma masquerading as chronic recurrent multifocal osteomyelitis: a case report.
- Authors: Pham M, Ressler S, Rosenthal A, Kelemen K
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 18
- Classic Hodgkin lymphoma with initial extranodal osseous presentation: a case report and literature review.
- Authors: Gomez M, Bem S, El-Zammar O, Naous R
- Issue date: 2019
- A case of Hodgkin lymphoma in a patient with a history of bone pain and an initial diagnosis of chronic osteomyelitis.
- Authors: Griguolo G, Mazzucchelli L, Cavalli F, Ceriani L, Zucca E, Stathis A
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 25
- Patterns of Lymph Node Pathology; Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy as an Evaluation Tool for Lymphadenopathy: A Retrospective Descriptive Study Conducted at the Largest Hospital in Africa.
- Authors: Reddy DL, Venter WD, Pather S
- Issue date: 2015
- Hodgkin's lymphoma masquerading as vertebral osteomyelitis in a man with diabetes: a case report.
- Authors: Bender Ignacio RA, Liu AY, Sohani AR, Vyas JM
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 6