Ultra-strong nonlinear optical processes and trigonal warping in MoS2 layers
Norwood, Robert A.
Ferrari, Andrea C.
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationUltra-strong nonlinear optical processes and trigonal warping in MoS2 layers 2017, 8 (1) Nature Communications
Rights© The Author(s) 2017. Open Access This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractNonlinear optical processes, such as harmonic generation, are of great interest for various applications, e. g., microscopy, therapy, and frequency conversion. However, high-order harmonic conversion is typically much less efficient than low-order, due to the weak intrinsic response of the higher-order nonlinear processes. Here we report ultra-strong optical nonlinearities in monolayer MoS2 (1L-MoS2): the third harmonic is 30 times stronger than the second, and the fourth is comparable to the second. The third harmonic generation efficiency for 1L-MoS2 is approximately three times higher than that for graphene, which was reported to have a large chi((3)). We explain this by calculating the nonlinear response functions of 1L-MoS2 with a continuum-model Hamiltonian and quantum mechanical diagrammatic perturbation theory, highlighting the role of trigonal warping. A similar effect is expected in all other transition-metal dichalcogenides. Our results pave the way for efficient harmonic generation based on layered materials for applications such as microscopy and imaging.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsAcademy of Finland [276376, 284548, 295777, 298297, 304666]; TEKES (NP-Nano, OPEC); Royal Academy of Engineering (RAEng) Research Fellowships; Fondazione Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia; Graphene Flagship; ERC grants Hetero2D; Nokia Foundation; EPSRC [EP/K01711X/1, EP/K017144/1, EP/L016087/1]; AFOSR COMAS MURI [FA9550-10-1-0558]; ONR NECom MURI; CIAN NSF ERC [EEC-0812072]; TRIF Photonics from the state of Arizona; Micronova, Nanofabrication Centre of Aalto University
- Multimodal Nonlinear Optical Imaging of MoS₂ and MoS₂-Based van der Waals Heterostructures.
- Authors: Li D, Xiong W, Jiang L, Xiao Z, Golgir HR, Wang M, Huang X, Zhou Y, Lin Z, Song J, Ducharme S, Jiang L, Silvain JF, Lu Y
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 22
- Optimal third-harmonic generation in an optical microcavity with χ<sup>(2)</sup> and χ<sup>(3)</sup> nonlinearities.
- Authors: Li M, Zou CL, Dong CH, Dai DX
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 15
- Giant Optical Second Harmonic Generation in Two-Dimensional Multiferroics.
- Authors: Wang H, Qian X
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 9
- Third-harmonic generation in ultrathin films of MoS2.
- Authors: Wang R, Chien HC, Kumar J, Kumar N, Chiu HY, Zhao H
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 8
- Strong Second-Harmonic Generation in Atomic Layered GaSe.
- Authors: Zhou X, Cheng J, Zhou Y, Cao T, Hong H, Liao Z, Wu S, Peng H, Liu K, Yu D
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 1