Optically Controlled Orbital Angular Momentum Generation in a Polaritonic Quantum Fluid
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Phys
Univ Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherAMER PHYSICAL SOC
CitationOptically Controlled Orbital Angular Momentum Generation in a Polaritonic Quantum Fluid 2017, 119 (11) Physical Review Letters
JournalPhysical Review Letters
Rights© 2017 American Physical Society
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractApplications of the orbital angular momentum (OAM) of light range from the next generation of optical communication systems to optical imaging and optical manipulation of particles. Here we propose a micron-sized semiconductor source that emits light with predefined OAM pairs. This source is based on a polaritonic quantum fluid. We show how in this system modulational instabilities can be controlled and harnessed for the spontaneous formation of OAM pairs not present in the pump laser source. Once created, the OAM states exhibit exotic flow patterns in the quantum fluid, characterized by generation-annihilation pairs. These can only occur in open systems, not in equilibrium condensates, in contrast to well-established vortex-antivortex pairs.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsU.S. NSF [ECCS-1406673]; TRIF SEOS; German DFG [TRR142, SCHU 1980/5]
- Classical to quantum optical network link for orbital angular momentum-carrying light.
- Authors: Zhou ZY, Li Y, Ding DS, Zhang W, Shi S, Shi BS
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 13
- Arbitrary spin-to-orbital angular momentum conversion of light.
- Authors: Devlin RC, Ambrosio A, Rubin NA, Mueller JPB, Capasso F
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 17
- An InP-based vortex beam emitter with monolithically integrated laser.
- Authors: Zhang J, Sun C, Xiong B, Wang J, Hao Z, Wang L, Han Y, Li H, Luo Y, Xiao Y, Yu C, Tanemura T, Nakano Y, Li S, Cai X, Yu S
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 9
- Integrated optical modulator manipulating the polarization and rotation handedness of Orbital Angular Momentum states.
- Authors: Mousavi SF, Nouroozi R, Vallone G, Villoresi P
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 19
- Generation of photonic orbital angular momentum superposition states using vortex beam emitters with superimposed gratings.
- Authors: Xiao Q, Klitis C, Li S, Chen Y, Cai X, Sorel M, Yu S
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 22