Anti-cancer Effects of MW-03, a Novel Indole Compound, by Inducing 15-Hydroxyprostaglandin Dehydrogenase and Cellular Growth Inhibition in the LS174T Human Colon Cancer Cell Line.
Regan, John W
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Pharm, Dept Pharmacol & Toxicol
peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-gamma
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherPHARMACEUTICAL SOC JAPAN
CitationAnti-cancer Effects of MW-03, a Novel Indole Compound, by Inducing 15-Hydroxyprostaglandin Dehydrogenase and Cellular Growth Inhibition in the LS174T Human Colon Cancer Cell Line. 2017, 40 (10):1806-1812 Biol. Pharm. Bull.
Rights© 2017 The Pharmaceutical Society of Japan
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractIncreases in the expression of prostaglandin E2 (PGE2) are widely known to be involved in aberrant growth in the early stage of colon cancer development. We herein demonstrated that the novel indole compound MW-03 reduced PGE2-induced cAMP formation by catalization to an inactive metabolite by inducing 15-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase through the activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ. MW-03 also inhibited colon cancer cell growth by arresting the cell cycle at the S phase. Although the target of MW-03 for cell cycle inhibition has not yet been identified, these dual anti-cancer effects of MW-03 itself and/or its leading compound(s) on colon cancer cells may reduce colon cancer development and, thus, have potential as a novel treatment for the early stage of this disease.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsMinistry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan [JP17K08308]; Center of Excellence (COE) program from Chiba University of Japan
CollectionsUA Faculty Publications
- 15-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase (15-PGDH) prevents lipopolysaccharide (LPS)-induced acute liver injury.
- Authors: Yao L, Chen W, Song K, Han C, Gandhi CR, Lim K, Wu T
- Issue date: 2017
- A novel indole compound, AWT-489, inhibits prostaglandin D2-induced CD55 expression by acting on DP prostanoid receptors as an antagonist in LS174T human colon cancer cells.
- Authors: Oyama S, Fujino H, Yamazaki R, Okura I, Regan JW, Awata A, Arai T, Murayama T
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 1
- A potential anti-tumor effect of leukotriene C4 through the induction of 15-hydroxyprostaglandin dehydrogenase expression in colon cancer cells.
- Authors: Mehdawi LM, Satapathy SR, Gustafsson A, Lundholm K, Alvarado-Kristensson M, Sjölander A
- Issue date: 2017 May 23
- Prostaglandin E<sub>2</sub> Activates YAP and a Positive-Signaling Loop to Promote Colon Regeneration After Colitis but Also Carcinogenesis in Mice.
- Authors: Kim HB, Kim M, Park YS, Park I, Kim T, Yang SY, Cho CJ, Hwang D, Jung JH, Markowitz SD, Hwang SW, Yang SK, Lim DS, Myung SJ
- Issue date: 2017 Feb