Modal noise in an integrated photonic lantern fed diffraction-limited spectrograph
Withford, M. J.
Lawrence, J. S.
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Steward Observ
Univ Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationModal noise in an integrated photonic lantern fed diffraction-limited spectrograph 2017, 25 (21):25546 Optics Express
Rights© 2017 Optical Society of America
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractIn an attempt to develop a streamlined astrophotonic instrument, we demonstrate the realization of an all-photonic device capable of both multimode to single mode conversion and spectral dispersion on an 8-m class telescope with efficient coupling. The device was a monolithic photonic spectrograph which combined an integrated photonic lantern and an efficient arrayed waveguide grating device. During on-sky testing, we discovered a previously unreported type of noise that made spectral extraction and calibration extremely difficult. The source of the noise was traced to a wavelength-dependent loss mechanism between the feed fiber's multimode near-field pattern and the modal acceptance profile of the integrated photonic lantern. Extensive modeling of the photonic components replicates the wavelength-dependent loss, and demonstrates an identical effect on the final spectral output. We outline that this could be mitigated by directly injecting into the integrated photonic lantern. (C) 2017 Optical Society of America
NoteOpen access journal.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsJapan Society for the Promotion of Research [23340051, 26220704, 23103002]; Australian Research Council Centre of Excellence for Ultrahigh bandwidth Devices for Optical Systems [CE110001018]; European Research Council [ERC-STG-639248]
- Demonstration of an efficient, photonic-based astronomical spectrograph on an 8-m telescope.
- Authors: Jovanovic N, Cvetojevic N, Norris B, Betters C, Schwab C, Lozi J, Guyon O, Gross S, Martinache F, Tuthill P, Doughty D, Minowa Y, Takato N, Lawrence J
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 24
- Nineteen-port photonic lantern with multimode delivery fiber.
- Authors: Noordegraaf D, Skovgaard PM, Sandberg RH, Maack MD, Bland-Hawthorn J, Lawrence JS, Lægsgaard J
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 15
- Beating the classical limit: a diffraction-limited spectrograph for an arbitrary input beam.
- Authors: Betters CH, Leon-Saval SG, Robertson JG, Bland-Hawthorn J
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 4
- Photonic lanterns: a study of light propagation in multimode to single-mode converters.
- Authors: Leon-Saval SG, Argyros A, Bland-Hawthorn J
- Issue date: 2010 Apr 12
- Characterization and on-sky demonstration of an integrated photonic spectrograph for astronomy.
- Authors: Cvetojevic N, Lawrence JS, Ellis SC, Bland-Hawthorn J, Haynes R, Horton A
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 12