Anisotropic attosecond charge carrier dynamics and layer decoupling in quasi-2D layered SnS2
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Chem & Biochem
Univ Arizona, Dept Phys
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationAnisotropic attosecond charge carrier dynamics and layer decoupling in quasi-2D layered SnS2 2017, 8 (1) Nature Communications
Rights© The Author(s) 2017. Open Access. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractStrong quantum confinement effects lead to striking new physics in two-dimensional materials such as graphene or transition metal dichalcogenides. While spectroscopic fingerprints of such quantum confinement have been demonstrated widely, the consequences for carrier dynamics are at present less clear, particularly on ultrafast timescales. This is important for tailoring, probing, and understanding spin and electron dynamics in layered and two-dimensional materials even in cases where the desired bandgap engineering has been achieved. Here we show by means of core-hole clock spectroscopy that SnS2 exhibits spin-dependent attosecond charge delocalization times (tau(deloc)) for carriers confined within a layer, tau(deloc) < 400 as, whereas interlayer charge delocalization is dynamically quenched in excess of a factor of 10, tau(deloc) > 2.7 fs. These layer decoupling dynamics are a direct consequence of strongly anisotropic screening established within attoseconds, and demonstrate that important two-dimensional characteristics are also present in bulk crystals of van der Waals-layered materials, at least on ultrafast timescales.
NoteUA Open Access Publishing Fund.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsNational Science Foundation [CHE 1213243, CHE 1565497]; U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Science, Office of Basic Energy Sciences [DE-AC02-76SF00515]
- Phonon-Assisted Ultrafast Charge Transfer at van der Waals Heterostructure Interface.
- Authors: Zheng Q, Saidi WA, Xie Y, Lan Z, Prezhdo OV, Petek H, Zhao J
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 11
- Disrupted Attosecond Charge Carrier Delocalization at a Hybrid Organic/Inorganic Semiconductor Interface.
- Authors: Racke DA, Kelly LL, Kim H, Schulz P, Sigdel A, Berry JJ, Graham S, Nordlund D, Monti OL
- Issue date: 2015 May 21
- Ultrafast Interlayer Electron Transfer in Incommensurate Transition Metal Dichalcogenide Homobilayers.
- Authors: Li Y, Cui Q, Ceballos F, Lane SD, Qi Z, Zhao H
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 8
- Interlayer excitons in a bulk van der Waals semiconductor.
- Authors: Arora A, Drüppel M, Schmidt R, Deilmann T, Schneider R, Molas MR, Marauhn P, Michaelis de Vasconcellos S, Potemski M, Rohlfing M, Bratschitsch R
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 21
- Ultrafast dynamics in van der Waals heterostructures.
- Authors: Jin C, Ma EY, Karni O, Regan EC, Wang F, Heinz TF
- Issue date: 2018 Nov