Directional optical switching and transistor functionality using optical parametric oscillation in a spinor polariton fluid
Luk, Samuel M. H.
Chan, Chris K. P.
Leung, P. T.
Kwong, N. H.
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationDirectional optical switching and transistor functionality using optical parametric oscillation in a spinor polariton fluid 2017, 25 (25):31056 Optics Express
Rights© 2017 Optical Society of America
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractOver the past decade, spontaneously emerging patterns in the density of polaritons in semiconductor microcavities were found to be a promising candidate for all-optical switching. But recent approaches were mostly restricted to scalar fields, did not benefit from the polariton's unique spin-dependent properties, and utilized switching based on hexagon far-field patterns with 60 degrees beam switching (i.e. in the far field the beam propagation direction is switched by 60 degrees). Since hexagon far-field patterns are challenging, we present here an approach for a linearly polarized spinor field that allows for a transistor-like (e.g., crucial for cascadability) orthogonal beam switching, i.e. in the far field the beam is switched by 90 degrees. We show that switching specifications such as amplification and speed can be adjusted using only optical means. (C) 2017 Optical Society of America
NoteOpen access journal.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsDeutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG) [SCHU 1980/5, TRR142, SCHU 1980/12-1]; National Science Foundation [ECCS-1406673]; TRIF SEOS
- Motion of spin polariton bullets in semiconductor microcavities.
- Authors: Adrados C, Liew TC, Amo A, Martín MD, Sanvitto D, Antón C, Giacobino E, Kavokin A, Bramati A, Viña L
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 30
- Study of surface plasmon polaritons near the photonic-bandgap edge for interphotonic band switching devices.
- Authors: Onuki T, Ohtera Y, Tokizaki T
- Issue date: 2008 Mar
- Ultrafast tristable spin memory of a coherent polariton gas.
- Authors: Cerna R, Léger Y, Paraïso TK, Wouters M, Morier-Genoud F, Portella-Oberli MT, Deveaud B
- Issue date: 2013
- A sub-femtojoule electrical spin-switch based on optically trapped polariton condensates.
- Authors: Dreismann A, Ohadi H, Del Valle-Inclan Redondo Y, Balili R, Rubo YG, Tsintzos SI, Deligeorgis G, Hatzopoulos Z, Savvidis PG, Baumberg JJ
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- All-optical polariton transistor.
- Authors: Ballarini D, De Giorgi M, Cancellieri E, Houdré R, Giacobino E, Cingolani R, Bramati A, Gigli G, Sanvitto D
- Issue date: 2013