Design and prototype of an augmented reality display with per-pixel mutual occlusion capability
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationDesign and prototype of an augmented reality display with per-pixel mutual occlusion capability 2017, 25 (24):30539 Optics Express
Rights© 2017 Optical Society of America
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractState-of-the-art optical see-through head-mounted displays for augmented reality (AR) applications lack mutual occlusion capability, which refers to the ability to render correct light blocking relationship when merging digital and physical objects, such that the virtual views appear to be ghost-like and lack realistic appearance. In this paper, using off-the-shelf optical components, we present the design and prototype of an AR display which is capable of rendering per-pixel mutual occlusion. Our prototype utilizes a miniature organic light emitting display coupled with a liquid crystal on silicon type spatial light modulator to achieve an occlusion capable AR display offering a 30 degrees diagonal field of view and an angular resolution of 1.24 arcminutes, with an optical performance of >0.4 contrast over the full field at the Nquist frequency of 24.2 cycles/degree. We experimentally demonstrate a monocular prototype achieving >100: 1 dynamic range in well-lighted environments. (C) 2017 Optical Society of America
NoteOpen access journal.
VersionFinal published version
- Design and demonstration of a vari-focal optical see-through head-mounted display using freeform Alvarez lenses.
- Authors: Wilson A, Hua H
- Issue date: 2019 May 27
- Factored Occlusion: Single Spatial Light Modulator Occlusion-capable Optical See-through Augmented Reality Display.
- Authors: Krajancich B, Padmanaban N, Wetzstein G
- Issue date: 2020 May
- High-resolution optical see-through multi-focal-plane head-mounted display using freeform optics.
- Authors: Hu X, Hua H
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 2
- Varifocal Occlusion-Capable Optical See-through Augmented Reality Display based on Focus-tunable Optics.
- Authors: Rathinavel K, Wetzstein G, Fuchs H
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Varifocal Occlusion for Optical See-Through Head-Mounted Displays using a Slide Occlusion Mask.
- Authors: Hamasaki T, Itoh Y
- Issue date: 2019 May