AuthorDrachev, Vladimir P
Kildishev, Alexander V
Borneman, Joshua D
Shalaev, Vladimir M
Norwood, Robert A
Marder, Seth R
Padilha, Lazaro A
Ensley, Trenton R
Hagan, David J
Van Stryland, Eric W
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationEngineered nonlinear materials using gold nanoantenna array. 2018, 8 (1):780 Sci Rep
Rights© The Author(s) 2018. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractGold dipole nanoantennas embedded in an organic molecular film provide strong local electromagnetic fields to enhance both the nonlinear refractive index (n2) and two-photon absorption (2PA) of the molecules. An enhancement of 53× for 2PA and 140× for nonlinear refraction is observed for BDPAS (4,4'-bis(diphenylamino)stilbene) at 600 nm with only 3.7% of gold volume fraction. The complex value of the third-order susceptibility enhancement results in a sign change of n2 for the effective composite material relative to the pure BDPAS film. This complex nature of the enhancement and the tunability of the nanoantenna resonance allow for engineering the effective nonlinear response of the composite film.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsAir Force Office of Scientific Research MURI [FA9550-10-1-0558]; National Science Foundation [DMR-1609895]; Army Research Laboratory [W911NF-15-2-0090]; Air Force Office of Scientific Research (AFOSR) MURI grant [FA9550-12-1-0389]; DARPA/DSO Extreme Optics and Imaging (EXTREME) Program
CollectionsUA Faculty Publications
- Strong two-photon absorption in new asymmetrically substituted porphyrins: interference between charge-transfer and intermediate-resonance pathways.
- Authors: Drobizhev M, Meng F, Rebane A, Stepanenko Y, Nickel E, Spangler CW
- Issue date: 2006 May 25
- Ultrafast nonlinear optical response of photoconductive ZnO films with fluorine nanoparticles.
- Authors: Torres-Torres C, Castro-Chacón JH, Castañeda L, Rangel Rojo R, Torres-Martínez R, Tamayo-Rivera L, Khomenko AV
- Issue date: 2011 Aug 15
- Dipole plasmon resonance induced large third-order optical nonlinearity of Au triangular nanoprism in infrared region.
- Authors: Chen Z, Dai H, Liu J, Xu H, Li Z, Zhou ZK, Han JB
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 29
- Efficient Third Harmonic Generation from Metal-Dielectric Hybrid Nanoantennas.
- Authors: Shibanuma T, Grinblat G, Albella P, Maier SA
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 12
- Simultaneously tuning the electric and magnetic plasmonic response using capped bi-metallic nanoantennas.
- Authors: Roxworthy BJ, Toussaint KC Jr
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 21