Brumfield, Brian E.
Harilal, Sivanandan S.
Phillips, Mark C.
Jones, R. Jason
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationBergevin, J., Wu, T. H., Yeak, J., Brumfield, B. E., Harilal, S. S., Phillips, M. C., & Jones, R. J. (2018). Dual-comb spectroscopy of laser-induced plasmas. Nature communications, 9(1), 1273.
Rights© The Author(s) 2018. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractDual-comb spectroscopy has become a powerful spectroscopic technique in applications that rely on its broad spectral coverage combined with high frequency resolution capabilities. Experiments to date have primarily focused on detection and analysis of multiple gas species under semi-static conditions, with applications ranging from environmental monitoring of greenhouse gases to high-resolution molecular spectroscopy. Here, we utilize dual-comb spectroscopy to demonstrate broadband, high-resolution, and time-resolved measurements in a laser-induced plasma. As a demonstration, we simultaneously detect trace amounts of Rb and K in solid samples with a single laser ablation shot, with transitions separated by over 6 THz (13 nm) and spectral resolution sufficient to resolve isotopic and ground state hyperfine splittings of the Rb D-2 line. This new spectroscopic approach offers the broad spectral coverage found in the powerful techniques of laser-induced breakdown spectroscopy (LIBS) while providing the high-resolution and accuracy of cw laser-based spectroscopies.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsAir Force Office of Scientific Research [FA9550-15-1-0091]; National Nuclear Security Administration, Defense Nuclear Nonproliferation RD Office; National Nuclear Security Administration, Department of Energy [DE-SC0004311]; Physics, Materials and Applied Mathematics Research L.L.C.; U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) [DE-AC05-76RL01830]; UA/NASA Space Grant Program
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as © The Author(s) 2018. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
- Time-resolved dual-comb measurement of number density and temperature in a laser-induced plasma.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Lecaplain C, Weeks RRD, Yeak J, Harilal SS, Phillips MC, Jason Jones R
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 15
- Doppler-free dual-comb spectroscopy of Rb using optical-optical double resonance technique.
- Authors: Nishiyama A, Yoshida S, Nakajima Y, Sasada H, Nakagawa K, Onae A, Minoshima K
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 31
- Spectrally interleaved, comb-mode-resolved spectroscopy using swept dual terahertz combs.
- Authors: Hsieh YD, Iyonaga Y, Sakaguchi Y, Yokoyama S, Inaba H, Minoshima K, Hindle F, Araki T, Yasui T
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 22
- High-coherence ultra-broadband bidirectional dual-comb fiber laser.
- Authors: Nakajima Y, Hata Y, Minoshima K
- Issue date: 2019 Mar 4
- Dual terahertz comb spectroscopy with a single free-running fibre laser.
- Authors: Hu G, Mizuguchi T, Oe R, Nitta K, Zhao X, Minamikawa T, Li T, Zheng Z, Yasui T
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 24