A “Pathology Explanation Clinic (PEC)” for Patient-Centered Laboratory Medicine Test Results
Krupinski, Elizabeth A.
Briehl, Margaret M.
Barker, Gail P.
Weinstein, John B.
Weinstein, Ronald S.
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Pathol, Coll Med Tucson
Univ Arizona, Arizona Telemed Program
Univ Arizona, Mel & Enid Zuckerman Coll Publ Hlth
Second Flexner Century
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherSAGE PUBLICATIONS INC
CitationGibson, B., Bracamonte, E., Krupinski, E. A., Briehl, M. M., Barker, G. P., Weinstein, J. B., & Weinstein, R. S. (2018). A “Pathology Explanation Clinic (PEC)” for Patient-Centered Laboratory Medicine Test Results. Academic pathology, 5, 2374289518756306.
Rights© The Author(s) 2018. Creative Commons Non Commercial CC BY-NC: This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractThis concept paper addresses communication issues arising between physicians and their patients. To facilitate the communication of essential diagnostic pathology information to patients, and address their questions and concerns, we propose that Pathology Explanation Clinics be created. The Pathology Explanation Clinics would provide a channel for direct communications between pathologists and patients. Pathologists would receive special training as Certified Pathologist Navigators in preparation for this role. The goal of Pathology Explanation Clinics would be to help fill gaps in communication of information contained in laboratory reports to patients, further explain its relevance, and improve patient understanding of the meaning of such information and its impact on their health and health-care choices. Effort would be made to ensure that Certified Pathologist Navigators work within the overall coordination of care by the health-care team.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsMilestone Medical Inc., a laboratory equipment company headquartered in Bergamo, Italy
- Improving Pathologists' Communication Skills.
- Authors: Dintzis S
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 1
- The patient experience of patient-centered communication with nurses in the hospital setting: a qualitative systematic review protocol.
- Authors: Newell S, Jordan Z
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- What many of us are doing or should be doing in clinical pathology: a list of the activities of the pathologist in the clinical laboratory.
- Authors: Laposata M
- Issue date: 1996 Nov
- Do 360-degree feedback survey results relate to patient satisfaction measures?
- Authors: Hageman MG, Ring DC, Gregory PJ, Rubash HE, Harmon L
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Communicating laboratory test results for rheumatoid factor: what do patients and physicians want?
- Authors: Kelman A, Robinson CO, Cochin E, Ahluwalia NJ, Braverman J, Chiauzzi E, Simacek K
- Issue date: 2016