Smartphone confocal microscopy for imaging cellular structures in human skin in vivo
AuthorFreeman, Esther E.
Martin, Jeffery N.
Anderson, R. Rox
Tearney, Guillermo J.
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci, 1630 E Univ Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85721 USA
Univ Arizona, Dept Biomed Engn, 1127 E James E Rogers Way, Tucson, AZ 85721 USA
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationEsther E. Freeman, Aggrey Semeere, Hany Osman, Gary Peterson, Milind Rajadhyaksha, Salvador González, Jeffery N. Martin, R. Rox Anderson, Guillermo J. Tearney, and Dongkyun Kang, "Smartphone confocal microscopy for imaging cellular structures in human skin in vivo," Biomed. Opt. Express 9, 1906-1915 (2018)
JournalBIOMEDICAL OPTICS EXPRESS
Rights© 2018 Optical Society of America under the terms of the OSA Open Access Publishing Agreement
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractWe report development of a low-cost smartphone confocal microscope and its first demonstration of in vivo human skin imaging. The smartphone confocal microscope uses a slit aperture and diffraction grating to conduct two-dimensional confocal imaging without using any beam scanning devices. Lateral and axial resolutions of the smartphone confocal microscope were measured as 2 and 5 mu m, respectively. In vivo confocal images of human skin revealed characteristic cellular structures, including spinous and basal keratinocytes and papillary dermis. Results suggest that the smartphone confocal microscope has a potential to examine cellular details in vivo and may help disease diagnosis in resource-poor settings, where conducting standard histopathologic analysis is challenging. (c) 2018 Optical Society of America under the terms of the OSA Open Access Publishing Agreement
NoteOpen access journal.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsNational Institute of Health/Fogarty International Center [R21TW010221]; National Cancer Institute [P30CA008748]
- In vivo confocal scanning laser microscopy of human skin II: advances in instrumentation and comparison with histology.
- Authors: Rajadhyaksha M, González S, Zavislan JM, Anderson RR, Webb RH
- Issue date: 1999 Sep
- A handheld laser scanning confocal reflectance imaging-confocal Raman microspectroscopy system.
- Authors: Patil CA, Arrasmith CL, Mackanos MA, Dickensheets DL, Mahadevan-Jansen A
- Issue date: 2012 Mar 1
- Slit-scanning confocal microendoscope for high-resolution in vivo imaging.
- Authors: Sabharwal YS, Rouse AR, Donaldson L, Hopkins MF, Gmitro AF
- Issue date: 1999 Dec 1
- Real-time scanning slit confocal microscopy of the in vivo human cornea.
- Authors: Masters BR, Thaer AA
- Issue date: 1994 Feb 1
- MEMS-based handheld confocal microscope for in-vivo skin imaging.
- Authors: Arrasmith CL, Dickensheets DL, Mahadevan-Jansen A
- Issue date: 2010 Feb 15