Blast Exposure Disrupts the Tonotopic Frequency Map in the Primary Auditory Cortex
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Neurosci Grad Program
Univ Arizona, Dept Physiol
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherPERGAMON-ELSEVIER SCIENCE LTD
CitationMasri, S., Zhang, L. S., Luo, H., Pace, E., Zhang, J., & Bao, S. (2018). Blast Exposure Disrupts the Tonotopic Frequency Map in the Primary Auditory Cortex. Neuroscience, 379, 428-434.
Rights© 2018 IBRO. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractBlast exposure can cause various auditory disorders including tinnitus, hyperacusis, and other central auditory processing disorders. While this is suggestive of pathologies in the central auditory system, the impact of blast exposure on central auditory processing remains poorly understood. Here we examined the effects of blast shockwaves on acoustic response properties and the tonotopic frequency map in the auditory cortex. We found that multiunits recorded from the auditory cortex exhibited higher acoustic thresholds and broader frequency tuning in blast-exposed animals. Furthermore, the frequency map in the primary auditory cortex was distorted. These changes may contribute to central auditory processing disorders. (C) 2018 IBRO. Published by Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
Note12 month embargo; published online: 4 April 2018
VersionFinal accepted manuscript
SponsorsDepartment of Defense [W81XWH-11-2-0031]
- Blast-induced tinnitus and hyperactivity in the auditory cortex of rats.
- Authors: Luo H, Pace E, Zhang J
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 6
- Differences in postinjury auditory system pathophysiology after mild blast and nonblast acute acoustic trauma.
- Authors: Race N, Lai J, Shi R, Bartlett EL
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 1
- Therapeutic effect of sildenafil on blast-induced tinnitus and auditory impairment.
- Authors: Mahmood G, Mei Z, Hojjat H, Pace E, Kallakuri S, Zhang JS
- Issue date: 2014 Jun 6
- Salicylate-induced frequency-map reorganization in four subfields of the mouse auditory cortex.
- Authors: Yanagawa Y, Takasu K, Osanai H, Tateno T
- Issue date: 2017 Aug
- Blast-induced tinnitus and spontaneous activity changes in the rat inferior colliculus.
- Authors: Luo H, Pace E, Zhang X, Zhang J
- Issue date: 2014 Sep 19