Simple and effective: transvaginal vesico-vaginal fistula repair with a modified Latzko technique
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Obstet & Gynecol
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherSPRINGER LONDON LTD
CitationCardenas-Trowers, O., Heusinkveld, J. & Hatch, K. Int Urogynecol J (2018) 29: 767. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00192-017-3471-8
Rights© The International Urogynecological Association 2017
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractThe incidence of vesico-vaginal fistulas after hysterectomies for benign indications in developed countries is less than one percent. The objective of this video is to demonstrate an easy-to-follow, step-by-step approach to repairing a small, uncomplicated vesico-vaginal fistula transvaginally using a modified Latzko technique. In this video, we present a case of a 46-year-old woman who developed a simple, uncomplicated vesico-vaginal fistula after a total abdominal hysterectomy. To correct her fistula, we used a modified Latzko technique, which is a transvaginal approach to vesico-vaginal fistula repair that involves mobilizing the vaginal mucosa around the fistula and then closing the pubo-vesical fascia and vaginal mucosa in layers. The patient had successful surgical correction of her vesico-vaginal fistula without recurrence of the fistula. For small, uncomplicated vesico-vaginal fistulas, a transvaginal approach has an equivalent success rate to that of other approaches with less invasiveness and faster recovery times. Therefore, it is reasonable to use a modified Latzko technique to help restore the quality of life to women affected by small, uncomplicated vesico-vaginal fistulas.
Note12 month embargo; published online: 07 September 2017
VersionFinal accepted manuscript
- [Occlusion of a vesicovaginal fistula with Latzko-repair].
- Authors: Methfessel HD, Retzke U, Schwarz R, Methfessel G
- Issue date: 1992 Oct
- Vaginal repair of vesico-vaginal fistulas: our experience.
- Authors: Catanzaro F, Pizzoccaro M, Cappellano F, Catanzaro M, Ciotti G, Giollo A
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- Guidelines of how to manage vesicovaginal fistula.
- Authors: Angioli R, Penalver M, Muzii L, Mendez L, Mirhashemi R, Bellati F, Crocè C, Panici PB
- Issue date: 2003 Dec
- [Long term results after Latzko operation for vesico-vaginal fistula].
- Authors: Holzer E, Schmidt T, Schöll H, Trotnow S
- Issue date: 1975 Jan
- Do we need new surgical techniques to repair vesico-vaginal fistulas?
- Authors: Zambon JP, Batezini NS, Pinto ER, Skaff M, Girotti ME, Almeida FG
- Issue date: 2010 Mar