Electrical and mechanical alternans during ventricular tachycardia with moderate chronic heart failure
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Sarver Heart Ctr
MetadataShow full item record
CitationChinyere, I. R., Moukabary, T., Goldman, S., & Juneman, E. (2017). Electrical and mechanical alternans during ventricular tachycardia with moderate chronic heart failure. Journal of electrocardiology.
JournalJOURNAL OF ELECTROCARDIOLOGY
Rights© 2017 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractA chronic heart failure (CHF) rat underwent epicardial programmed electrical stimulation (PES). Ventricular tachycardia (VT) developed during PES. Mechanical alternans was noted despite fixed tachycardia cycle length. Anti-tachycardia pacing attempts initiated a second VT that generated pulse intermittently and then degenerated into pulseless VT with electrical alternans. To our knowledge electrical and mechanical alternans have not been recorded in animal models of CHF during VT. The distinct events of mechanical alternans and electrical alternans may be indicative of progressively worsened calcium handling in the compromised cardiomyocytes. Although ion channel differences between rodents and humans exist, this work attempts to demonstrate this rat model's usefulness in understanding cardiac electrophysiology in CHF. (C) 2017 Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Note12 month embargo; published online: 23 September 2017
VersionFinal accepted manuscript
SponsorsWARMER Research Foundation; Sarver Heart Center, University of Arizona; Hansjorg Wyss Foundation; Martin and Carol Reid Family Charitable Remainder Trust
- In vivo Electrophysiological Study of Induced Ventricular Tachycardia in Intact Rat Model of Chronic Ischemic Heart Failure.
- Authors: Weigand K, Witte R, Moukabary T, Chinyere I, Lancaster J, Pierce MK, Goldman S, Juneman E
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Mechanisms linking electrical alternans and clinical ventricular arrhythmia in human heart failure.
- Authors: Bayer JD, Lalani GG, Vigmond EJ, Narayan SM, Trayanova NA
- Issue date: 2016 Sep
- Alternans of the Ventricular Electrogram in Patients with an Implanted Cardioverter-Defibrillator.
- Authors: Barold SS, Kucher A, de Meester A, Stroobandt RX
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Alternans in QRS amplitude during ventricular tachycardia.
- Authors: Maury P, Metzger J
- Issue date: 2002 Feb
- Relative refractoriness of left ventricular contraction underlies human tachycardia-induced mechanical and electrical alternans.
- Authors: Kashimura T, Kodama M, Watanabe T, Tanaka K, Hayashi Y, Ohno Y, Obata H, Ito M, Hirono S, Hanawa H, Minamino T
- Issue date: 2014 Feb