A Capillary Flow Dynamics-Based Sensing Modality for Direct Environmental Pathogen Monitoring
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Agr & Biosyst Engn
Univ Arizona, Mel & Enid Zuckerman Coll Publ Hlth
Univ Arizona, Dept Biomed Engn
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherWILEY-V C H VERLAG GMBH
CitationK. E. Klug, K. A. Reynolds, J.-Y. Yoon, Chem. Eur. J. 2018, 24, 6025.
JournalCHEMISTRY-A EUROPEAN JOURNAL
Rights© 2018 Wiley‐VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractToward ultra-simple and field-ready biosensors, we demonstrate a novel assay transducer mechanism based on interfacial property changes and capillary flow dynamics in antibody-conjugated submicron particle suspensions. Differential capillary flow is tunable, allowing pathogen quantification as a function of flow rate through a paper-based microfluidic device. Flow models based on interfacial and rheological properties indicate a significant relationship between the flow rate and the interfacial effects caused by target-particle aggregation. This mechanism is demonstrated for assays of Escherichia coli K12 in water samples and Zika virus (ZIKV) in blood serum. These assays achieved very low limits of detection compared with other demonstrated methods (1 log CFU/mL E. coli and 20 pg/mL ZIKV whole virus) with an operating time of 30 s, showing promise for environmental and health monitoring.
Note12 month embargo; published online: 05 February 2018
VersionFinal accepted manuscript
SponsorsBIO5 Institute, The University of Arizona; U.S. National Science Foundation (NSF) Water, Environment and Technology (WET) Center [IIP-1361815]; Tucson Water; NSF [DGE-1143953]
- Engineering Paper-Based Sensors for Zika Virus.
- Authors: Meagher RJ, Negrete OA, Van Rompay KK
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Electrochemical Biosensors for Early Stage Zika Diagnostics.
- Authors: Kaushik A, Tiwari S, Jayant RD, Vashist A, Nikkhah-Moshaie R, El-Hage N, Nair M
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Localized surface plasmon resonance-mediated fluorescence signals in plasmonic nanoparticle-quantum dot hybrids for ultrasensitive Zika virus RNA detection via hairpin hybridization assays.
- Authors: Adegoke O, Morita M, Kato T, Ito M, Suzuki T, Park EY
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 15
- A PDMS/paper/glass hybrid microfluidic biochip integrated with aptamer-functionalized graphene oxide nano-biosensors for one-step multiplexed pathogen detection.
- Authors: Zuo P, Li X, Dominguez DC, Ye BC
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 7
- Evaluation of Aptima Zika Virus Assay.
- Authors: Ren P, Ortiz DA, Terzian ACB, Colombo TE, Nogueira ML, Vasilakis N, Loeffelholz MJ
- Issue date: 2017 Jul