AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationFarhad Akhoundi, Yukun Qin, N. Peyghambarian, Jennifer K. Barton, and Khanh Kieu, "Compact fiber-based multi-photon endoscope working at 1700 nm," Biomed. Opt. Express 9, 2326-2335 (2018)
JournalBIOMEDICAL OPTICS EXPRESS
Rights© 2018 Optical Society of America under the terms of the OSA Open Access Publishing Agreement
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractWe present the design, implementation and performance analysis of a compact multi-photon endoscope based on a piezo electric scanning tube. A miniature objective lens with a long working distance and a high numerical aperture (approximate to 0.5) is designed to provide a diffraction limited spot size. Furthermore, a 1700 nm wavelength femtosecond fiber laser is used as an excitation source to overcome the scattering of biological tissues and reduce water absorption. Therefore, the novel optical system along with the unique wavelength allows us to increase the imaging depth. We demonstrate that the endoscope is capable of performing third and second harmonic generation (THG/SHG) and three-photon excitation fluorescence (3PEF) imaging over a large field of view (> 400 mu m) with high lateral resolution (2.2 mu m). The compact and lightweight probe design makes it suitable for minimally-invasive in-vivo imaging as a potential alternative to surgical biopsies. (C) 2018 Optical Society of America under the terms of the OSA Open Access Publishing Agreement
NoteOpen access journal.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsNSF ECCS ; NIH [R01EB020605]; State of Arizona TRIF funding
- Label-free multi-photon imaging using a compact femtosecond fiber laser mode-locked by carbon nanotube saturable absorber.
- Authors: Kieu K, Mehravar S, Gowda R, Norwood RA, Peyghambarian N
- Issue date: 2013
- Miniaturized multimodal multiphoton microscope for simultaneous two-photon and three-photon imaging with a dual-wavelength Er-doped fiber laser.
- Authors: Huang L, Zhou X, Liu Q, MacAulay CE, Tang S
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 1
- Compact and flexible raster scanning multiphoton endoscope capable of imaging unstained tissue.
- Authors: Rivera DR, Brown CM, Ouzounov DG, Pavlova I, Kobat D, Webb WW, Xu C
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 25
- Nonlinear optical endoscope based on a compact two axes piezo scanner and a miniature objective lens.
- Authors: Le Harzic R, Weinigel M, Riemann I, König K, Messerschmidt B
- Issue date: 2008 Dec 8
- Three-photon excited fluorescence imaging of unstained tissue using a GRIN lens endoscope.
- Authors: Huland DM, Charan K, Ouzounov DG, Jones JS, Nishimura N, Xu C
- Issue date: 2013 May 1