MetadataShow full item record
PublisherIEEE COMPUTER SOC
CitationS. Nusrat, M. J. Alam and S. Kobourov, "Evaluating Cartogram Effectiveness," in IEEE Transactions on Visualization and Computer Graphics, vol. 24, no. 2, pp. 1077-1090, Feb. 1 2018. doi: 10.1109/TVCG.2016.2642109
RightsCopyright © 2018, IEEE
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractCartograms are maps in which areas of geographic regions, such as countries and states, appear in proportion to some variable of interest, such as population or income. Cartograms are popular visualizations for geo-referenced data that have been used for over a century to illustrate patterns and trends in the world around us. Despite the popularity of cartograms, and the large number of cartogram types, there are few studies evaluating the effectiveness of cartograms in conveying information. Based on a recent task taxonomy for cartograms, we evaluate four major types of cartograms: contiguous, non-contiguous, rectangular, and Dorling cartograms. We first evaluate the effectiveness of these cartogram types by quantitative performance analysis (time and error). Second, we collect qualitative data with an attitude study and by analyzing subjective preferences. Third, we compare the quantitative and qualitative results with the results of a metrics-based cartogram evaluation. Fourth, we analyze the results of our study in the context of cartography, geography, visual perception, and demography. Finally, we consider implications for design and possible improvements.
VersionFinal accepted manuscript
- Cartogram Visualization for Bivariate Geo-Statistical Data.
- Authors: Nusrat S, Alam MJ, Scheidegger C, Kobourov S
- Issue date: 2018 Oct
- Using geographical information systems and cartograms as a health service quality improvement tool.
- Authors: Lovett DA, Poots AJ, Clements JT, Green SA, Samarasundera E, Bell D
- Issue date: 2014 Jul
- Value-by-alpha maps: An alternative technique to the cartogram.
- Authors: Roth RE, Woodruff AW, Johnson ZF
- Issue date: 2010 May 1
- CartoDraw: a fast algorithm for generating contiguous cartograms.
- Authors: Keim DA, North SC, Panse C
- Issue date: 2004 Jan-Feb
- Visualizing statistical significance of disease clusters using cartograms.
- Authors: Kronenfeld BJ, Wong DWS
- Issue date: 2017 May 15