Rotation-dependent nonlinear absorption of orbital angular momentum beams in ruby
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherOPTICAL SOC AMER
CitationG. Musarra, K. E. Wilson, D. Faccio, and E. M. Wright, "Rotation-dependent nonlinear absorption of orbital angular momentum beams in ruby," Opt. Lett. 43, 3073-3075 (2018)
Rights© 2018 Optical Society of America
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractWe investigate the effect of a rotating medium on orbital angular momentum (OAM)-carrying beams by combining a weak probe beam shifted in frequency relative to a strong pump beam. We show how the rotational Doppler effect modifies the light-matter interaction through the external rotation of the medium. This interaction leads to an absorption that increases with the mechanical rotation velocity of the medium and with a rate that depends on the OAM of the light beam. (C) 2018 Optical Society of America
Note12 month embargo; published online: 21 June 2018
VersionFinal accepted manuscript
SponsorsEngineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) [EP/P006078/2]
- Optical angular momentum in a rotating frame.
- Authors: Speirits FC, Lavery MP, Padgett MJ, Barnett SM
- Issue date: 2014 May 15
- Classical to quantum optical network link for orbital angular momentum-carrying light.
- Authors: Zhou ZY, Li Y, Ding DS, Zhang W, Shi S, Shi BS
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 13
- Mechanical Faraday effect for orbital angular momentum-carrying beams.
- Authors: Wisniewski-Barker E, Gibson GM, Franke-Arnold S, Boyd RW, Padgett MJ
- Issue date: 2014 May 19
- Detecting the Orbital Angular Momentum of Electro-Magnetic Waves Using Virtual Rotational Antenna.
- Authors: Zhang C, Ma L
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 4
- Optical angular momentum and atoms.
- Authors: Franke-Arnold S
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 28