Relativistic Measurement Backaction in the Quantum Dirac Oscillator
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Phys
Univ Arizona, Coll Opt Sci
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherAMER PHYSICAL SOC
CitationZhang, Keye & Zhou, Lu & Meystre, Pierre & Zhang, Weiping. (2018). Relativistic Measurement Backaction in the Quantum Dirac Oscillator. Physical Review Letters. 121. 10.1103/PhysRevLett.121.110401.
JournalPHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS
Rights© 2018 American Physical Society
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractAn elegant method to circumvent quantum measurement backaction is the use of quantum mechanics free subsystems (QMFS), with one approach involving the use of two oscillators with effective masses of opposite signs. Since negative energies, and hence masses, are a characteristic of relativistic systems a natural question is to what extent QMFS can be realized in this context. Using the example of a one-dimensional Dirac oscillator we investigate conditions under which this can be achieved, and identify Zitterbewegung or virtual pair creation as the physical mechanism that fundamentally limits the feasibility of the scheme. We propose a tabletop implementation of a Dirac oscillator system based on a spin-orbit coupled ultracold atomic sample that allows for a direct observation of the corresponding analog of virtual pair creation on quantum measurement backaction.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsNational Key Research and Development Program of China [2016YFA0302001]; National Natural Science Foundation of China [11574086, 91436211, 11654005, 11234003, 11374003]; Shanghai Rising-Star Program [16QA1401600]; Science and Technology Commission of Shanghai Municipality [16DZ2260200]
- Quantum simulation of the Dirac equation.
- Authors: Gerritsma R, Kirchmair G, Zähringer F, Solano E, Blatt R, Roos CF
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 7
- Quantum Backaction Evading Measurement of Collective Mechanical Modes.
- Authors: Ockeloen-Korppi CF, Damskägg E, Pirkkalainen JM, Clerk AA, Woolley MJ, Sillanpää MA
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 30
- Quantum measurement-induced antiferromagnetic order and density modulations in ultracold Fermi gases in optical lattices.
- Authors: Mazzucchi G, Caballero-Benitez SF, Mekhov IB
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 11
- Classical simulation of relativistic Zitterbewegung in photonic lattices.
- Authors: Dreisow F, Heinrich M, Keil R, Tünnermann A, Nolte S, Longhi S, Szameit A
- Issue date: 2010 Oct 1
- First experimental realization of the Dirac oscillator.
- Authors: Franco-Villafañe JA, Sadurní E, Barkhofen S, Kuhl U, Mortessagne F, Seligman TH
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 25