AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Mat Sci & Engn
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherIOP PUBLISHING LTD
CitationDeymier, P. A., & Runge, K. (2019). Evidence for hidden order in a nonlinear model elastic system. Journal of Physics: Condensed Matter.
RightsOriginal content from this work may be used under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 licence. Any further distribution of this work must maintain attribution to the author(s) and the title of the work, journal citation and DOI.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractHidden order may arise in strongly correlated systems even if there is an apparent lack of long-range order as measured by local order parameters. This phenomenon has been essentially associated with topological order in quantum systems. Here, we demonstrate the emergence of hidden order in a 1D non-linear classical mechanical system that supports rotational degrees of freedom. The potential energy of the model system creates a bistable system for which hidden order emerges with the introduction of a biquadratic term. To our surprise, we discover that varying the strength of the biquadratic term leads to four distinct phases quantified by the behaviors of the Néel and string order parameters. Three of these phases are locally disordered. Hidden order is identified by a string order parameter that shows correlations with significantly longer range than the Néel order parameter. The hidden order correlation length diverges as the kinetic energy of the system is lowered with a critical exponent ~0.5. The observation of hidden order in a mechanical system reveals that instability and non-linearity may play critical roles in the generation of nonlocal long-range correlations in apparently locally disordered systems.
NoteOpen access article
VersionFinal published version
- Revealing hidden antiferromagnetic correlations in doped Hubbard chains via string correlators.
- Authors: Hilker TA, Salomon G, Grusdt F, Omran A, Boll M, Demler E, Bloch I, Gross C
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 4
- Observation of correlated particle-hole pairs and string order in low-dimensional Mott insulators.
- Authors: Endres M, Cheneau M, Fukuhara T, Weitenberg C, Schauss P, Gross C, Mazza L, Bañuls MC, Pollet L, Bloch I, Kuhr S
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 14
- Long-range string orders and topological quantum phase transitions in the one-dimensional quantum compass model.
- Authors: Wang HT, Cho SY
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 14
- Hidden order in 1D bose insulators.
- Authors: Dalla Torre EG, Berg E, Altman E
- Issue date: 2006 Dec 31
- Spin-orbit density wave induced hidden topological order in URu2Si2.
- Authors: Das T
- Issue date: 2012