Genome and evolution of the shade-requiring medicinal herb Panax ginseng
Kim, Hyun Hee
Waminal, Nomar E
van Nguyen, Binh
Lee, Yun Sun
Koo, Hyun Jo
Park, Jee Young
Joh, Ho Jun
Kim, In Seo
Kang, Kyo Bin
Sung, Sang Hyun
Park, Daniel S
Hyun, Dong Yun
Kim, Hyun Uk
Soh, Moon Soo
In, Jun Gyo
Wing, Rod A
Paterson, Andrew H
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Sch Plant Sci, Arizona Genom Inst
MetadataShow full item record
CitationKim, N. , Jayakodi, M. , Lee, S. , Choi, B. , Jang, W. , Lee, J. , Kim, H. H., Waminal, N. E., Lakshmanan, M. , Nguyen, B. , Lee, Y. S., Park, H. , Koo, H. J., Park, J. Y., Perumal, S. , Joh, H. J., Lee, H. , Kim, J. , Kim, I. S., Kim, K. , Koduru, L. , Kang, K. B., Sung, S. H., Yu, Y. , Park, D. S., Choi, D. , Seo, E. , Kim, S. , Kim, Y. , Hyun, D. Y., Park, Y. , Kim, C. , Lee, T. , Kim, H. U., Soh, M. S., Lee, Y. , In, J. G., Kim, H. , Kim, Y. , Yang, D. , Wing, R. A., Lee, D. , Paterson, A. H. and Yang, T. (2018), Genome and evolution of the shade‐requiring medicinal herb Panax ginseng. Plant Biotechnol J, 16: 1904-1917. doi:10.1111/pbi.12926
JournalPLANT BIOTECHNOLOGY JOURNAL
Rights© 2018 The Authors. Plant Biotechnology Journal published by Society for Experimental Biology and The Association of Applied Biologists and John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractPanax ginseng C. A. Meyer, reputed as the king of medicinal herbs, has slow growth, long generation time, low seed production and complicated genome structure that hamper its study. Here, we unveil the genomic architecture of tetraploid P. ginseng by de novo genome assembly, representing 2.98 Gbp with 59 352 annotated genes. Resequencing data indicated that diploid Panax species diverged in association with global warming in Southern Asia, and two North American species evolved via two intercontinental migrations. Two whole genome duplications (WGD) occurred in the family Araliaceae (including Panax) after divergence with the Apiaceae, the more recent one contributing to the ability of P. ginseng to overwinter, enabling it to spread broadly through the Northern Hemisphere. Functional and evolutionary analyses suggest that production of pharmacologically important dammarane-type ginsenosides originated in Panax and are produced largely in shoot tissues and transported to roots; that newly evolved P. ginseng fatty acid desaturases increase freezing tolerance; and that unprecedented retention of chlorophyll a/b binding protein genes enables efficient photosynthesis under low light. A genome-scale metabolic network provides a holistic view of Panax ginsenoside biosynthesis. This study provides valuable resources for improving medicinal values of ginseng either through genomics-assisted breeding or metabolic engineering.
NoteOpen Access Journal
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsNext-Generation BioGreen21 Program, Rural Development Administration, Republic of Korea [PJ01311901, PJ013238, PJ01334605]
- Transcriptome analysis reveals ginsenosides biosynthetic genes, microRNAs and simple sequence repeats in Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer.
- Authors: Li C, Zhu Y, Guo X, Sun C, Luo H, Song J, Li Y, Wang L, Qian J, Chen S
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 11
- Transcriptomic profiling reveals MEP pathway contributing to ginsenoside biosynthesis in Panax ginseng.
- Authors: Xue L, He Z, Bi X, Xu W, Wei T, Wu S, Hu S
- Issue date: 2019 May 17
- Panax ginseng genome examination for ginsenoside biosynthesis.
- Authors: Xu J, Chu Y, Liao B, Xiao S, Yin Q, Bai R, Su H, Dong L, Li X, Qian J, Zhang J, Zhang Y, Zhang X, Wu M, Zhang J, Li G, Zhang L, Chang Z, Zhang Y, Jia Z, Liu Z, Afreh D, Nahurira R, Zhang L, Cheng R, Zhu Y, Zhu G, Rao W, Zhou C, Qiao L, Huang Z, Cheng YC, Chen S
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 1
- Ginseng Genome Database: an open-access platform for genomics of Panax ginseng.
- Authors: Jayakodi M, Choi BS, Lee SC, Kim NH, Park JY, Jang W, Lakshmanan M, Mohan SVG, Lee DY, Yang TJ
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 12
- De novo assembly and comparative analysis of root transcriptomes from different varieties of Panax ginseng C. A. Meyer grown in different environments.
- Authors: Zhen G, Zhang L, Du Y, Yu R, Liu X, Cao F, Chang Q, Deng X, Xia M, He H
- Issue date: 2015 Nov