Transition to practice experiences of first- and second-career nurses: A mixed-methods study
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Coll Nursing
MetadataShow full item record
CitationRainbow, J. G., & Steege, L. M. (2019). Transition to practice experiences of first‐and second‐career nurses: A mixed‐methods study. Journal of clinical nursing, 28(7-8), 1193-1204.
JournalJOURNAL OF CLINICAL NURSING
Rights© 2018 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractTo explore the transition to nursing practice experiences of first- and second-career nursing students. To address the nursing shortage, alternative educational programmes have been increasingly developed and implemented with to help individuals with prior career experiences transition into a career in nursing (second-career nurses). However, we know little about the transition to practice experiences of second-career nurses. This mixed-methods study utilised qualitative interviews with nurses who had completed a year of practice and a longitudinal survey of nurses' perceptions of stress, coping and burnout throughout their first year of nursing practice. Qualitative data (n = 15) were analysed using latent thematic analysis and following COREQ guidelines. Descriptive and effect size analysis of quantitative data (n = 122) was conducted in order to assess for significant differences across time points.
Note12 month embargo; first published: 05 December 2018
VersionFinal accepted manuscript
SponsorsEckburg Dissertation Fund
- The effectiveness of mindfulness based programs in reducing stress experienced by nurses in adult hospital settings: a systematic review of quantitative evidence protocol.
- Authors: Botha E, Gwin T, Purpora C
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- First-career and second-career nurses' experiences of stress, presenteeism and burn-out during transition to practice.
- Authors: Mohamed LK
- Issue date: 2019 Jul
- The support needs of new graduate nurses making the transition to rural nursing practice in Australia.
- Authors: Lea J, Cruickshank M
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Occupational stressors, burnout and coping strategies between hospital and community psychiatric nurses in a Dublin region.
- Authors: McTiernan K, McDonald N
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- The lived experience of first year undergraduate student nurses: A hermeneutic phenomenological study.
- Authors: Porteous DJ, Machin A
- Issue date: 2018 Jan