Heterogeneous burden of lung disease in smokers with borderline airflow obstruction
AuthorPirozzi, Cheryl S
Quibrera, Pedro M
Carretta, Elizabeth E
Han, MeiLan K
Cooper, Christopher B
Tashkin, Donald P
Kleerup, Eric C
Hoffman, Eric A
Martinez, Carlos H
Christenson, Stephanie A
Hansel, Nadia N
Graham Barr, R
Bleecker, Eugene R
Ortega, Victor E
Martinez, Fernando J
Kanner, Richard E
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Dept Med
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Forced expiratory volume
Maximal Midexpiratory flow rate
Pulmonary function tests
MetadataShow full item record
CitationPirozzi, C. S., Gu, T., Quibrera, P. M., Carretta, E. E., Han, M. K., Murray, S., ... & Hoffman, E. A. (2018). Heterogeneous burden of lung disease in smokers with borderline airflow obstruction. Respiratory research, 19(1), 223.
Rights© The Author(s). 2018
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at email@example.com.
AbstractThe identification of smoking-related lung disease in current and former smokers with normal FEV1 is complex, leading to debate regarding using a ratio of forced expiratory volume in 1 s to forced vital capacity (FEV1/FVC) of less than 0.70 versus the predicted lower limit of normal (LLN) for diagnosis of airflow obstruction. We hypothesized that the discordant group of ever-smokers with FEV1/FVC between the LLN and 0.70 is heterogeneous, and aimed to characterize the burden of smoking-related lung disease in this group.
NoteOpen Access Journal.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsNIH/NHLBI [HHSN268200900013C, HHSN268200900014C, HHSN268200900015C, HHSN268200900016C, HHSN268200900017C, HHSN268200900018C, HHSN268200900019C, HHSN268200900020C]; AstraZeneca; Bellerophon Therapeutics; Boehringer-Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; Chiesi Farmaceutici SpA; Forest Research Institute, Inc.; GSK; Grifols Therapeutics, Inc.; Ikaria, Inc.; Nycomed GmbH; Takeda Pharmaceutical Company; Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corporation; Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc.; Sanofi; [R01 HL122438]; [K24 HL138188]
- Relationships between airflow obstruction and quantitative CT measurements of emphysema, air trapping, and airways in subjects with and without chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Authors: Schroeder JD, McKenzie AS, Zach JA, Wilson CG, Curran-Everett D, Stinson DS, Newell JD Jr, Lynch DA
- Issue date: 2013 Sep
- Age and Small Airway Imaging Abnormalities in Subjects with and without Airflow Obstruction in SPIROMICS.
- Authors: Martinez CH, Diaz AA, Meldrum C, Curtis JL, Cooper CB, Pirozzi C, Kanner RE, Paine R 3rd, Woodruff PG, Bleecker ER, Hansel NN, Barr RG, Marchetti N, Criner GJ, Kazerooni EA, Hoffman EA, Ross BD, Galban CJ, Cigolle CT, Martinez FJ, Han MK, SPIROMICS Investigators.
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 15
- How Common Is Airflow Limitation in Patients With Emphysema on CT Scan of the Chest?
- Authors: Lutchmedial SM, Creed WG, Moore AJ, Walsh RR, Gentchos GE, Kaminsky DA
- Issue date: 2015 Jul
- FEV(1)/FEV(6) to diagnose airflow obstruction. Comparisons with computed tomography and morbidity indices.
- Authors: Bhatt SP, Kim YI, Wells JM, Bailey WC, Ramsdell JW, Foreman MG, Jensen RL, Stinson DS, Wilson CG, Lynch DA, Make BJ, Dransfield MT
- Issue date: 2014 Mar
- Comparison of spirometric thresholds in diagnosing smoking-related airflow obstruction.
- Authors: Bhatt SP, Sieren JC, Dransfield MT, Washko GR, Newell JD Jr, Stinson DS, Zamba GK, Hoffman EA, COPDGene Investigators.
- Issue date: 2014 May