Wound botulism caused by Clostridium subterminale after a heroin injection
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Maricopa Integrated Hlth Syst, Dept Pharm
Univ Arizona, Maricopa Integrated Hlth Syst, Dept Emergency Med
MetadataShow full item record
CitationCook, P., Mishler, A., Quan, D., & Parrish-Garcia, A. (2018). Wound botulism caused by Clostridium subterminale after a heroin injection. Infectious Disease Reports, 10(2). https://doi.org/10.4081/idr.2018.7654
JournalINFECTIOUS DISEASE REPORTS
Rights©Copyright P. A. Cook et al., 2018
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractBotulism is caused by toxin production from many species of Clostridium, most commonly Clostridium botulinum as well as C. baratii and C. butyricum. Development of wound botulism is associated with injection drug users but has also been described in traumatic injuries with exposure to soil. A patient presented to the emergency department with a complaint of descending, progressive weakness. He recently reported skin popping with heroin injections. Heptavalent botulinum antitoxin was obtained from the [Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)]. On hospital day seven, the anaerobic wound cultures resulted with growth of Clostridium subterminale.
NoteOpen access journal
VersionFinal published version
- Rapid geographical clustering of wound botulism in Germany after subcutaneous and intramuscular injection of heroin.
- Authors: Galldiks N, Nolden-Hoverath S, Kosinski CM, Stegelmeyer U, Schmidt S, Dohmen C, Kuhn J, Gerbershagen K, Bewermeyer H, Walger P, Biniek R, Neveling M, Jacobs AH, Haupt WF
- Issue date: 2007
- Shot by a Gun … Missed by a Provider.
- Authors: Garcia E, Zaid AH, Calello DP, McHugh L, Arzumanov G, Asrar N, Sapin A, Fless KG
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Wound botulism from heroin skin popping.
- Authors: Davis LE, King MK
- Issue date: 2008 Nov
- [Wound botulism after drug injection].
- Authors: Scheibe F, Hug B, Rossi M
- Issue date: 2002 Feb 1
- Botulism: the challenge of diagnosis and treatment.
- Authors: Brook I
- Issue date: 2006 Fall