Leukocyte expression profiles reveal gene sets with prognostic value for seizure-free outcome following stereotactic laser amygdalohippocampotomy
Witte, Marlys H
Labiner, David M
Hammer, Michael F
Weinand, Martin E
AffiliationUniv Arizona, Ctr Appl Genet & Genom Med
Univ Arizona, Arizona Res Labs, Div Biotechnol
Univ Arizona, Coll Med, Dept Surg, Div Neurosurg
Univ Arizona, Coll Med, Dept Surg
Univ Arizona, Coll Med, Dept Neurol
MetadataShow full item record
PublisherNATURE PUBLISHING GROUP
CitationSprissler, R., Bina, R., Kasoff, W., Witte, M. H., Bernas, M., Walter, C., ... & Weinand, M. E. (2019). Leukocyte expression profiles reveal gene sets with prognostic value for seizure-free outcome following stereotactic laser amygdalohippocampotomy. Scientific reports, 9(1), 1086.
Rights© The Author(s) 2019. This article is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
Collection InformationThis item from the UA Faculty Publications collection is made available by the University of Arizona with support from the University of Arizona Libraries. If you have questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
AbstractAmong patients with intractable epilepsy, the most commonly performed surgical procedure is craniotomy for amygdalohippocampectomy (AH). Stereotactic laser amygdalohippocampotomy (SLAH) has also been recently employed as a minimally invasive treatment for intractable temporal lobe epilepsy (TLE). Among patients treated with AH and SLAH approximately 65% and 54% of patients become seizure-free, respectively. Therefore, selection criteria for surgical candidates with improved prognostic value for post-operative seizure-free outcome are greatly needed. In this study, we perform RNA sequencing (RNA-Seq) on whole blood leukocyte samples taken from 16 patients with intractable TLE prior to SLAH to test the hypothesis that pre-operative leukocyte RNA expression profiles are prognostic for post-operative seizure outcome. Multidimensional scaling analysis of the RNA expression data indicated separate clustering of patients with seizure free (SF) and non-seizurefree (NSF) outcomes. Differential expression (DE) analysis performed on SF versus NSF groups revealed 24 significantly differentially expressed genes (>= 2.0-fold change, p-value < 0.05, FDR < 0.05). Network and pathway analyses identified differential activation of pathways involved in lipid metabolism, morphology of oligodendrocytes, inflammatory response, and development of astrocytes. These results suggest that pre-operative leukocyte expression profiles have prognostic value for seizure outcome following SLAH.
NoteOpen access journal.
VersionFinal published version
SponsorsNIH from Temple University [RO1MH065151, HCS 04-42]; Department of Surgery 2016 Faculty Seed Grant, University of Arizona College of Medicine; 2016 University of Arizona Health Sciences Clinical Research Pilot Program Award (UAHS-CRPA)
- Cortical gene expression: prognostic value for seizure outcome following temporal lobectomy and amygdalohippocampectomy.
- Authors: Gallek MJ, Skoch J, Ansay T, Behbahani M, Mount D, Manziello A, Witte M, Bernas M, Labiner DM, Weinand ME
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- Better object recognition and naming outcome with MRI-guided stereotactic laser amygdalohippocampotomy for temporal lobe epilepsy.
- Authors: Drane DL, Loring DW, Voets NL, Price M, Ojemann JG, Willie JT, Saindane AM, Phatak V, Ivanisevic M, Millis S, Helmers SL, Miller JW, Meador KJ, Gross RE
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Laser ablation is effective for temporal lobe epilepsy with and without mesial temporal sclerosis if hippocampal seizure onsets are localized by stereoelectroencephalography.
- Authors: Youngerman BE, Oh JY, Anbarasan D, Billakota S, Casadei CH, Corrigan EK, Banks GP, Pack AM, Choi H, Bazil CW, Srinivasan S, Bateman LM, Schevon CA, Feldstein NA, Sheth SA, McKhann GM 2nd, Columbia Comprehensive Epilepsy Center Co-Authors.
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- The Role of Stereotactic Laser Amygdalohippocampotomy in Mesial Temporal Lobe Epilepsy.
- Authors: Gross RE, Willie JT, Drane DL
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Stereotactic laser amygdalohippocampotomy for mesial temporal lobe epilepsy.
- Authors: Gross RE, Stern MA, Willie JT, Fasano RE, Saindane AM, Soares BP, Pedersen NP, Drane DL
- Issue date: 2018 Mar